AWC?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93 cube, 15 cube, roughly 15 gallons in 1st sump and 8 in second sump plus 12' of 1" pvc and 12' of 3/4"

@dantimdad - for the 92 cube, If I were you, I would take out a little less than a gallon per day if you're running the #DOS! If 1 gallon a day equals 3785.41mls, I would start trying around 3100mls per day and see how that goes for you or try less!!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually in the process of setting up a second DOS for water changes. I am setting it up to do continuous water changes.....roughly 14 gallons a week, throughout the week.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Waters - Care to share your Apex cabinet or how you have all of your gear stored, power bricks, etc?
Sure...these are older pics but not a whole lot has changed. The second DOS will be sitting on the blue shelf next to the other one, running lines to the saltwater Brute, an empty Brute, and the sump. I also have power bricks next to a reptile enclosure on the other side of the basement. Pay no attention to my wife's drinking glass dosing containers, the DDR was in to Neptune for repair :)
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure...these are older pics but not a whole lot has changed. The second DOS will be sitting on the blue shelf next to the other one, running lines to the saltwater Brute, an empty Brute, and the sump. I also have power bricks next to a reptile enclosure on the other side of the basement. Pay no attention to my wife's drinking glass dosing containers, the DDR was in to Neptune for repair :)
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG

Did your wiring harness corrode on your ddr? I’m sending mine in today for that, going to have them replace the sensors as well since that is only $15 for the pair. It’s really a bad design as it’s hard to keep liquid out of the circuit board for the harness (they agreed on the phone when I called them but said no plans to fix the issue)

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your wiring harness corrode on your ddr? I’m sending mine in today for that, going to have them replace the sensors as well since that is only $15 for the pair. It’s really a bad design as it’s hard to keep liquid out of the circuit board for the harness (they agreed on the phone when I called them but said no plans to fix the issue)
I have had both sensors fail twice and the main board replaced once. They never said what caused it. After the warranty expired and I continued to have failures, I decided I can't keep paying to have it repaired so I ripped out the board and sensors. I am now just using it as an acrylic dosing storage container. I love Neptune's products but I think they missed the boat on the design of these lol.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both sensors fail twice and the main board replaced once. They never said what caused it. After the warranty expired and I continued to have failures, I decided I can't keep paying to have it repaired so I ripped out the board and sensors. I am now just using it as an acrylic dosing storage container. I love Neptune's products but I think they missed the boat on the design of these lol.

Yeah it’s pretty pricy for a suspect product, the sensors seem pointless to me but I need them plugged in to get the ddr container on my apex. Once the ddr container is on the display the Doser keeps track of what is in it.

I actually might pull the sensors out and use them for something else when I get mine back. That way the harness won’t be next to liquid and the sensors won’t be submersed 100% of the time.

I wish they would let you get the containers without the ddr.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s pretty pricy for a suspect product, the sensors seem pointless to me but I need them plugged in to get the ddr container on my apex. Once the ddr container is on the display the Doser keeps track of what is in it.

I actually might pull the sensors out and use them for something else when I get mine back. That way the harness won’t be next to liquid and the sensors won’t be submersed 100% of the time.

I wish they would let you get the containers without the ddr.
I agree.....especially since that is what I am using it for now. I loved it when it worked like it was supposed to. I can only pay for shipping and repairs so many times though lol.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG

Your UV canister looks like the same size that I have on my backyard 15,000 gallon pool lol.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Genesis Renew system for water changes and Storm system for ATO. About 800 bucks for both Genesis systems and 60 bucks each for three Rainbow Lifegard pumps to run it all — one to pump old saltwater out of Sump a gallon at a time through metering bucket; one to pump new saltwater into the sump a gallon at a time through metering bucket; and one to pump RODI from reservoir into sump until float switch closes.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is photo showing the filtration room setup (on other side of wall from DT, still being set up) and a video (click link) showing how the Genesis Renew water-change system works. (The STORM ATO connects to the Renew, but is not connected at the moment....)

This demonstrates just a single, on-command 1-gallon change. You can tell the system to function continuously to change out a given number of gallons; you can tell it to change out X gallons per day; or you can tell it to change out X gallons per week. I'm really tickled with how well this system works, have suffered the 5-gallon-bucket at a time approach for quite some time on the old 156 I had at old house. (And my RO system was down a flight of stairs from where the tank was, too!) No more of that!

(I have a pair of 50-gallon saltwater reservoirs that I can switch between to supply the new saltwater.)
IMG_5307.jpg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a DOS to change anywhere from 1% to 3% of my system volume daily. For at least 2 years continuously now. I haven’t had a single problem with mine. I have mine hooked to my 150 gallon mixing station. I’ll generally use 100 gallons from the reservoir then make new saltwater. Right now I am changing 1% a day on my tank and make saltwater every 62 days or so. It’s really a slick way to do automatic waterchanges. It’s made my life with this tank a dream and I personally see no advantage to doing it any other way.
E9E71A97-3FCC-4A32-A115-B427696A6144.jpeg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a DOS to change anywhere from 1% to 3% of my system volume daily. For at least 2 years continuously now. I haven’t had a single problem with mine. I have mine hooked to my 150 gallon mixing station. I’ll generally use 100 gallons from the reservoir then make new saltwater. Right now I am changing 1% a day on my tank and make saltwater every 62 days or so. It’s really a slick way to do automatic waterchanges. It’s made my life with this tank a dream and I personally see no advantage to doing it any other way.

I see lots of posts about the short shelf life of NSW. It sounds like you are keeping yours for 2 months or so however.

What are the ambient conditions your NSW is kept in?

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see lots of posts about the short shelf life of NSW. It sounds like you are keeping yours for 2 months or so however.

Do you know why people are saying there's a short shelf life? Are alk/Ca levels dropping off? Something else?

I've got two 50 g bins, each with an ADV 7 pump on the side to churn. I can turn them on/off easily enough to keep things stirred in the bins, so don't know why there would be a concern.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know why people are saying there's a short shelf life? Are alk/Ca levels dropping off? Something else?

I've got two 50 g bins, each with an ADV 7 pump on the side to churn. I can turn them on/off easily enough to keep things stirred in the bins, so don't know why there would be a concern.

Not really. I believe the manufacturers state it should be used fairly quickly and the other specific comment I’ve seen is that without all the other biological processes going on as they do in the tank that the NSW will ‘go off’.

It’s good to hear from others who keep and use their mixed water longer term without issues.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back