AZBigJohn's slow going desert reefs

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a long time lurker on R2R, but have recently decided to become more active. I have two tanks, although both are slow-growing projects.

My small tank is an old 30 gallon Cardiff bullet shaped tank. I think currently has only a yellow watchman goby and a Pajama Cardinal as occupants, with a Peppermint Shrimp and fairly decent CUC. I fight GHA in there due to overfeeding, bit seem to have it on the run right now.
Equipment includes a Maxpect Razor for lights, and a HOB protein skimmer.
I have a couple SPS frags, a huge hammer that started as a small single headed frag, and lots of green zoas.

efdad23998945410106d4462b9ccb093.jpg

My project tank is a 165 gallon bow front I bought used a little over a year ago with a 55 gallon sump. I started out strong, started a huge war with algae, and let it win for a while. 3 months ago, I got the bug again, rebooted it, and am winning the war do far. Still doesn't look like much, because it has mainly frags in it, but I am keeping up on it, and things are growing. I seem to be fighting to get my lighting right currently for SPS. I am finally getting a little growth on a couple SPS frags, but basically this tank is a colored stick killer for the most part.
52c4def690344e76aaeb95c0bba8ab0f.jpg

Occupants include 3 occur. Clowns (I know- only two work long term, but these three have been together for 6 years through three tanks) a RBTA that the Clowns won't enter, a canary Blenny, a bicolor Blenny and a fire fish. There is also a sea hare that has helped keep the GHA in check.

Corals include a collection of Zoas growing into a garden, a couple hammer frags, a larger nepthia, numerous mushrooms, a recently added Duncan that is sprouting two new heads and a couple other frags I don't know the name of.

Equipment includes a Sicce return pump, Reef Octopus NWB 200 skimmer, GFO/carbon reactor and an Apex Jr controlling everything. Lighting is 3 Kessil A360W's.

I will update with coral and fish pics when I can.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking reboot on the 165, and I'm glad things are going better this time. Way to stick with it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time, no update.

I had never had much luck with Duncan's, but bought a single head frag, and must be doing something right, because here it is 6 weeks later!
ea2a2f151fc88312f25a476b2044e6d2.jpg

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the last shot of my now Aptasia Forrest.

I let my guard down on a frag, and now I have over 100. In addition, I had a sump overflow, and just don't trust the factory stand anymore.
20161109_163732.jpg

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a thread in the do-it-yourself forum seeking input on a new stand design. I have never been in love with the factory stand under the aquarium (one person can easily pick it up, and it supports 165 gallons of saltwater, rock and sand!). To short, too hard to work in, and after a couple water spills, now structurally suspect.

Combined with my losing battle with aptasia, and long time desire to go back and start again (I never QT'd), I have come up with a plan to turn my 29 gallon bullet-shaped tank into a frag tank, and find some deserving locals to take my fish off my hands. That will allow me to get the coral off the rocks. I will nuke the rock (acid wash) and then "re-cure" the rock the right way.

This time more planning, more secure rockwork, and a solid QT plan...

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating whether to start a new thread or not. As I mentioned in the last couple of threads, I am tearing down both tanks and starting over due to an Aptasia outbreak that has broken me. I didn't inspect a couple frags I got, and had an Aptasia outbreak in my larger tank. After fighting it for several months, I am throwing in the towel. I am also going to retroactively QT my fish. Most have been with me for anywhere from six months to 5 years for me clowns.

The plan started with my small 29 gallon tank (an old Cardiff.) If you go back to the first post, you can see it when it looked good. I only had a PJ Cardinal, a clown, and a Yellow Watchman Goby and some snails in there, so, unfortunately the clown and Cardinal were sold, as I had those in my large tank as well. The coral went into a storage containers while I emptied the tank and vinegared it out. I pulled all the rock (to cook later) and ditched the sand. This tank is now my frag tank. You can see it with a rack I built below.

58d9426e676154b29ffb9c4f8e6fb6ad.jpg

The next step is an old 40 breeder that I am going to use as a "QT/hospital" tank. Once ready, all the fish will go in there, and run through copper, then Prazipro.

As soon as that starts, then the large bowfront is coming down. I plan on building a new standard for it, and cooking down all the rock and restarting from scratch.

This is going to be a long process, but I'm excited to get it going!

1481330507143.jpg

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I have two pictures in that last post, and they're sideways...

I tried the new Reef2Reef app, and I guess I have more to learn...

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited, I can't even begin to describe it! I have been working hard to get everything ready for my tank tear-down due to my aptasia infestation. My plan is to put all of my fish in a hospital tank and put them through QT (since I have not been a QT person) and all of my corals are being fragged and going into either my frag tank (pictured above) or traded/sold.

I was at a local fish store that does a large quantity of used tank sales to pick up a tank for the hospital tank. As I walk in, I see a beautiful 210 gallon tank and stand... Evidently I don't hide my admiration very well, as the wife said, "You like that tank, right?"

Who am I to lie... I love my bowfront, but I am always having flow problems due to the bow and very skinny sides (my overflows are on the corners, so the side panels are only about 8 inches of usable space. Long story made short, I will be picking up a new (to me) tank in a couple weeks! (birthday in a week!) As a bonus, the store owner saw pictures of my existing tank, and is going to take it in with a generous trade offer.

I will take copious pictures of this build, and probably start a new tank thread. Of course, I am planning like crazy now (and driving my wife nuts) but I'm a lucky guy, with a VERY understanding wife...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a VERY lucky guy and a smart guy who realize's he's lucky lol sorry to hear about the problems with the bow but it's great to be able to start anew and sort out things you learned from your previous tank(s). Best of luck on the new build and happy (soon to be) birthday! gotta start posting those new tank pics:)

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John! Can't wait to follows along with the new build. After moving to Texas my tank is suffering poorly and I'm trying to find the bug again like you did!

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've got most of the corals out of the tank except for some special mushrooms I'll need to chip out of the rock. Then what do I see today?

My female clown resting inside my RBTA. Both clowns have gone around it in the past year I've had it, but pick today to move in! The week before I break the tank down and will probably sell through RTBA, as my hospital tank will get treated with coppersafe and Prazipro.
20170114_181852.jpeg

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been a busy day doing "prep work."

I have had "fish stuff" (my wife's term) in several places, so part of the deal with the new tank is I have created a storage unit for everything in a shelving unit in our spare room/office.
20170115_123152.jpeg

Hospital tank is filled, and coming up to temperature...
20170115_115433.jpeg

Start moving fish onto the hospital tank tomorrow!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the last two evenings draining and cleaning my bowfront tank, sump and stand to get ready to trade in for the new tank! Lots of work, but for a good cause!

Rock and water out...

20170120_132250.jpeg

Water drained... tank scrubbed and scraped...
20170120_165453.jpeg

Wow, that sump was bad. Lots easier to get to without the tank on top...
20170120_175844.jpeg

Ready to go... (yes, that's one of the Saint Bernard's from my avatar)
1484966479777.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back