Azooxanthellae / NPS Forum?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R team, I was wondering about the possibility of adding a subforum dedicated to non-photosynthetic corals. I see this has come up before in 2010. Significant progress seems to be made in their care since then, and general interest in NPS and mesophotic biotopes have greatly increased. And while there is an excellent article in the LPS forum, there are many categories of NPS which are not LPS, and it would be awesome to have a dedicated space to discuss the nuances, and techniques for NPS care.
Would anyone else be interested in such a subforum?
Tagging dr. Dendro, as I brought this up on his post previously. @Dr.Dendrostein Kaplan

OP
OP
pcon

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize now it was @ProfessorAronnax ’s post that I mentioned this on. My bad.

In the 2010 post @revhtree mentioned needing “babysitters” and a “forum expert” is that still the case? Is there a R2R standard process/requirements for adding new subfoums?

I understand some trepidation for adding more subforums which may not get a ton of activity. And the argument that you could simply discuss them in the respective LPS and Softie forums. However NPS does seem to be somewhat of the next frontier, of coral keeping. As a community we have, developed the care of photosynthetic corals to the point that, we are now sexually reproducing many stony corals. Corals once thought to be impossible to keep alive. When I started reading about coral care, sun corals were often considered cut flowers, doomed to starvation. My friend now blasts baby sun coral buds with kalk, like they are Aiptasia. Many NPS have gone from, impossible for all but public institutions, to approachable by intermediate and advanced hobbyists.

It would be awesome to have a place where we can centralize discussion on NPS corals. While many key aspects require the same considerations, flow, water chemistry, ect. the unique challenges of nps can be common to many families of azoo corals. For instance the challenges in the care of nps gorgs and sun corals have more similarities than sun corals to Duncans, and nps gorgs to other softies. It makes sense to have a separate spot to focus on the unique and common elements of azoo coral care.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a dendronephthyaologist in the house....haha

On the Skimmate podcast thread I just commented
Dr. Dieter Brockmann(Coral Magazine) has an excellent article on NPS corals and mentions it's the last frontier on corals.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Year new forum?

Taking inspiration from @najer what about for the name:
The Dark Side of Coral: NPS/Azooxanthellae Coral Discussion
Title not going to work, because then I'm going to call my corals the ladies of the night. And they're not going to permit that.....Hahaha

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say hello to my little friends
They attached to a Little Rock and I glue them to a big rock

Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-02-58-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-02-46-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-02-31-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-01-49-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-01-39-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-01-18-1.png

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There actually was one for several years post that 2010 thread. It didn't see/catch enough threads for it to make sense, and got merged into the LPS forum after a few years (around 2015?).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back