Azure Damsel and Clownfish Pair?

bsap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added two young clownfish to my Peninsula Mini 15. Obviously, I don't intend on adding any other fish for at least a month but I wanted to see if I would be able to successfully add an Azure Damselfish to the tank. I know obviously aggression could be an issue but it's my understanding that Azure's are the least aggressive of the damsel family. Any advice appreciated!

Varga_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will have a problem adding one damsel. From what I've heard damsels are most aggressive when they are the first species added to the tank. Considering you already have two clownfish in there it should be fine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about the clowns being aggressive. Mine are real jerks even in a 90g.

OP
OP
bsap

bsap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about the clowns being aggressive. Mine are real jerks even in a 90g.
Well they're young right now so I'm not as worried about them at the moment. They're not even aggressive with each other. Yet

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even put my hands in my 90g without some sort of protection.

OP
OP
bsap

bsap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way ahead of you. One of my first purchases were those long Tunze gloves for getting in there without being worried about any biting

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added two young clownfish to my Peninsula Mini 15. Obviously, I don't intend on adding any other fish for at least a month but I wanted to see if I would be able to successfully add an Azure Damselfish to the tank. I know obviously aggression could be an issue but it's my understanding that Azure's are the least aggressive of the damsel family. Any advice appreciated!
Have never kept an Azure but have kept damsels. It's hit or miss. The one's I've owned, seen at the transhipper I was at and wholesalers tend to pick on others but never seemed to isolate on one. Territory seems to be the thing with them and if that happens just move things. Plus clownfish themselves can become very territorial. Just like people, never know how any individual will react amongst others. Some just not built to get along and best left alone.

borraborra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never kept an Azure but have kept damsels. It's hit or miss. The one's I've owned, seen at the transhipper I was at and wholesalers tend to pick on others but never seemed to isolate on one. Territory seems to be the thing with them and if that happens just move things. Plus clownfish themselves can become very territorial. Just like people, never know how any individual will react amongst others. Some just not built to get along and best left alone.
I just added a damsel to my 14 gallon reef with two clowns. I inherited a 90 gallon tank with a variety of fish! There were four clowns in the 90 and one pair was going after the other, so I decide to move the two into the 14. Since then I found one of the two damsels being bullied in the 90. He hurt his eye and had several of his fins nipped. So I just moved him into the 14 gallon. I think he should be fine!

Back