Baby aptasia?

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these little guys growing off my hammer. Pretty sure they were there from day one.

A90161D4-AA58-4064-AB70-BEDE5BA0E4B7.jpeg

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, that looks like an aiptasia. Pop that frag off and put some super glue on them. Try not to mess with them too much in water as they will spore.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aptasia !
Time to add a pretty fish. . . . . Kleini Butterfly. Will eat these aptasia like candy, colorful, peaceful and eats all dry and frozen food and does not bother coral

1582337707418.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia !
Time to add a pretty fish. . . . . Kleini Butterfly. Will eat these aptasia like candy, colorful, peaceful and eats all dry and frozen food and does not bother coral

1582337707418.png
Hmm
Do they really not eat coral? First time of heard of it

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia !

1582337707418.png

I wanted to go that route, but I couldn't find that fish at my lfs. So, I stopped by Petco and got four peppermint shrimps. I only have a few Aips, but 3-4 of them are about 2-3 inches when fully opened. The smaller ones disappeared within two days after adding the shrimps. I was afraid that the shrimps would not get to the bigger ones because they were hiding inside a 20-30 heads gorilla nipple zaos. But by the end of the week, those big aiptasia were gone too. I have to say I'm impressed........$20 (with coupon) well spent.

So if you don't want to add more fish, try peppermint shrimps.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm
Do they really not eat coral? First time of heard of it
I have three tanks, one in each and they bother Nothing !

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to go that route, but I couldn't find that fish at my lfs. So, I stopped by Petco and got four peppermint shrimps. I only have a few Aips, but 3-4 of them are about 2-3 inches when fully opened. The smaller ones disappeared within two days after adding the shrimps. I was afraid that the shrimps would not get to the bigger ones because they were hiding inside a 20-30 heads gorilla nipple zaos. But by the end of the week, those big aiptasia were gone too. I have to say I'm impressed........$20 (with coupon) well spent.

So if you don't want to add more fish, try peppermint shrimps.
It’s funny, I had 3 peppermint shrimp in tank. Thought they all died but occasionally at night one comes out from who knows where.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny, I had 3 peppermint shrimp in tank. Thought they all died but occasionally at night one comes out from who knows where.
Yeah, I’ve never seen them during the day. I also thought that my six-line wrasse already made a snack out of them. Then, the Aiptasia started to disappear. I guess it’s a hit-or-miss. Make sure yours are true peppermint and not camel shrimp.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I don't know where they got two inches and won't eat corals here's a link https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/264/?pcatid=264
I have three and over a year and the one in my 50g drop off and 93 cube has remained at 2" and one in my 660g at 3" and DO NOT bother coral and owning a pet store over a decade and 33 years- I do know what I am talking about. Go ahead and read books for confusion. Read 3 books and sites and you will get 3 different answers
Ive had Numerous people thank me for suggestion with success. Live aquaria- That says a lot. . . . their tables are for reference as they cant guarantee reef safe, size, diet, etc

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three and over a year and the one in my 50g drop off and 93 cube has remained at 2" and one in my 660g at 3" and DO NOT bother coral and owning a pet store over a decade and 33 years- I do know what I am talking about. Go ahead and read books for confusion. Read 3 books and sites and you will get 3 different answers
Ive had Numerous people thank me for suggestion with success. Live aquaria- That says a lot. . . . their tables are for reference as they cant guarantee reef safe, size, diet, etc
I'm not seeing a barrage of different answers. I'm seeing minimum tank size variance of anywhere from 50-120 gallons which is typical, everyone has an opinion, but everything I read agrees that these would be a risk to soft corals and that they can get to 6". Do you have any soft corals in the tanks they're in? I'm not discounting your personal experience but I wouldn't discount other's experience either. Could it not be that you've just been lucky? Maybe most of them do leave coral alone but some like to eat softies. I don't know why yours are not growing to 6" maybe they only get that large in the ocean. Or maybe you just got some runts, seems unlikely.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not seeing a barrage of different answers. I'm seeing minimum tank size variance of anywhere from 50-120 gallons which is typical, everyone has an opinion, but everything I read agrees that these would be a risk to soft corals and that they can get to 6". Do you have any soft corals in the tanks they're in? I'm not discounting your personal experience but I wouldn't discount other's experience either. Could it not be that you've just been lucky? Maybe most of them do leave coral alone but some like to eat softies. I don't know why yours are not growing to 6" maybe they only get that large in the ocean. Or maybe you just got some runts, seems unlikely.
All my tanks are mixed reef (soft and SPS). I know at least a dozen people with same experience- not bothering coral, peaceful, etc)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back