baby clowns dying

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i looked in my clown tank today and have 14 died baby clowns and 2 other ones have the back half over there body is all white and there tail is crucked and swiming funny did not notice this before i had no deaths in the last 4 days they are on day 10 can anybody tell me why this is happening
thankx
dan

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding baby brine? If you are, could be sudden fright syndrome. One of the reasons I go from rotifers to. otohime, or Ziegler small micron foods. I don't waste my time with brine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am still feeding to im feeding both just not as much rotifiers the temp is 80 i checked this morning most are died i have about 30 left there tails are turning white then the die i dont get it

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your baby clown dying :(
What size tank do you have them in and how much water is in the tank? Also when is last time you cleaned their tank and did a water change/how much and how often?

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have them in a 10 gallon i clean the tank every other day and do a 2 galoon water change every other day the water that i change is the same temp and salinaty the white on the back of them is wierd never seen that before

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If testing the water does not determine any water quality issues then are you able to post a pic of the clowns and the tank? Maybe seeing a pic can help determine what has happened. Good Luck!!

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my kits are no good i havent used them in years i tryed to take a pic but i cant figure out how to shut the auto focus off and the pics are blurry they are dying faster then what i can take a pic at there are only 20 or so left i dont understand what happen

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that we can't do anymore to help you. At this point you may not be able to reverse what is happening to them, but if I were you I would move the remaining clowns to a new tank/new water, and clean the heater, airstone, and air line. Basically clean anything that goes inside the tank. Also get a new test kit so you can rule out the old water as the problem. Unfortunately I am not sure if there is really anything else you can do at this point :(
Just curious, where are you located? Maybe you are close to someone else who is breeding who come go take a look in person. Keep us up to date and good luck!!

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankx so much for your help i will put them in a new tank there is nobody around here that breeds (clown depot u r the closest lol) its alot of testing and figuring it out this is my first hatch so i did better then i thought they are getting ready to lay again the females belly is huge and the tube is sticking out of the bottom of the white stripe so they will lay real soon ill try to save the ones i have well see what happens thankx again for the info

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most welcome! You did a great job getting them to day 11, especially being your first batch. Keep a calendar of when your pair lays. Mark the day and time of day they lay. After tracking a few nests and if you keep their tank stable you should be able to predict down to a few hours when they will lay again. Remember to keep feeding the larvae rotifers until they reach meta. That should help. Good Luck!!

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think maybe that ware i whent wrong i cut back on the rotifiers when i started feeding the otohima

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Log is really helpful. I actually don't change the water till after meta. I keep my hatch in a 5 gallon lowes bucket. The roundness helps the fry get the rots and they stay in there for about 30 days. I have i.ztructions somewhere. I can e-mail them if you are interested.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Log is really helpful. I actually don't change the water till after meta. I keep my hatch in a 5 gallon lowes bucket. The roundness helps the fry get the rots and they stay in there for about 30 days. I have i.ztructions somewhere. I can e-mail them if you are interested.

I would be interested as well!

jleat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also be very interested in this. Thanks for all the good info on these boards.

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bought a mated pair of sno clowns for breading and i found the female jumped out of the tank lastnight some time so my question is if i buy a platium clown with the platium and the sno will they become a mated pair

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back