Baby harlequin shrimp just born!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just about 1/2 hr to 4 days old;Woot;Woot i am going to bed ,sea you in morn,think i just called 100+ yrs expert experience :)

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just about 1/2 hr to 4 days old;Woot;Woot i am going to bed ,sea you in morn,think i just called 100+ yrs expert experience :)
Have a good night Frank the baby harlequin just got a midnight snack and are bouncing twirling and zipping around safe to say they will be 4 days old which I think is the longest run so far

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun Sep 6th at 2:00am 4 days old
All flow turned off for video

652B2E15-2717-44BF-B141-E364655A268A.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, @Paul B @Lasse @Jay Hemdal ,any insight would be appreciated ,or poss someone who might be able to help?
thanks guys
Because of lack of experiences in this topic - I can´t contribute much

My only reaction is that you probably have encoded the key for the first stages.

I found this article - maybe you can write to the author and receive the full paper

There is also some studies in Thailand - this article is partly about it

You can probably contact the authors and ask them about the breeding of the harlequin

Sincerely Lasse

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking...yes it hurt... could you make a pod/starfish/fish egg slurry and freeze it? I wish you lived close. You could harvest starfish daily from my tank.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking...yes it hurt... could you make a pod/starfish/fish egg slurry and freeze it? I wish you lived close. You could harvest starfish daily from my tank.
I guess I could try but they do not begin feeding on starfish until after the planktonic stage. During this time they feed on phytoplankton and zooplankton and later in their development each other but what and at what stage is the issue I am having

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it hurt my brain trying to figure out how old the shrimp were today

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not raised these myself. My understanding is though that the first couple of larval instars are non-feeding, then they can hold without food for some time. This makes it look like they are growing, but actually they are in a holding pattern, waiting on the right food. I can't recall if enriched Artemia naups serve as a first food, or if you need rotifers. They won't eat Asterina until they reach post settlement stage (around 50 days or so?). The MBI, Marine Breeders Initiative has at least one member (Ramon V.) who has raised these. You can find them on Facebook.

Jay

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not raised these myself. My understanding is though that the first couple of larval instars are non-feeding, then they can hold without food for some time. This makes it look like they are growing, but actually they are in a holding pattern, waiting on the right food. I can't recall if enriched Artemia naups serve as a first food, or if you need rotifers. They won't eat Asterina until they reach post settlement stage (around 50 days or so?). The MBI, Marine Breeders Initiative has at least one member (Ramon V.) who has raised these. You can find them on Facebook.

Jay
Thank you sir

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the pictures of some shrimp in a plastic bowl? Good question. After feeding them their midnight snack I tilted the sieve back to where the return would trickle water into the sieve. Saw the fish out darting around so got up. Since I have to keep it at an angle I have been using a mag float to keep the sieve from tipping over but the sieve moved away from the glass and slipped past the mag float. Shrimp and brine enter the display. Retrieved about 30 or so shrimp from the display filled the bowl twice. Will have to work on stabilizing the sieve next time

8644309D-E825-4D6D-9318-4476B33DFB66.jpeg 11E73598-25AE-4EEF-A4F3-2475DECD0383.jpeg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back