Baby pistol shrimp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ghost25
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ghost25

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2018
Messages
408
Reaction score
474
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have pistol shrimp hitchhikers, as well as a green mantis. Caught this guy in my filter pad tonight. He's back in the tank now. Pretty cool, never seen this before. The pistol shrimp are ultra secretive, I've only actually seen them when moving the whole tank.

shrimp.jpg
 
That's cool. What's the green mantis up to?

Hiding in holes mostly. It was months before I even realized I had one. As far as I can tell he hasn't killed anything. I have lost a couple fish, but over the same period I have had a neon goby and a tail spot blenny go completely unharmed. Snails also seem to have survived, I even have small mussels that go undisturbed, so I'm not really sure what he's eating.
 
Where do you guys get your rocks from that you have all these hitchhikers? Cause that’s pretty awesome!
 
If your rock was from the Caribbean, that's most likely a baby curlique pistol shrimp. They don't associate with any gobies and can hunt for other inverts as they get larger. They actually associate with curlique anemones (hence the name) like other shrimp in the Atlantic.
 
Where do you guys get your rocks from that you have all these hitchhikers? Cause that’s pretty awesome!

KP Aquatics. Yeah, I've had a ton of hitchhikers.

If your rock was from the Caribbean, that's most likely a baby curlique pistol shrimp. They don't associate with any gobies and can hunt for other inverts as they get larger. They actually associate with curlique anemones (hence the name) like other shrimp in the Atlantic.

Interesting, yeah the rock is from Florida. I did have a curli-que anemone appear on the rock but I removed it because it started to get quite large and I'd rather use that space for my bubble tip. I still hear clicking every now and then.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new