Baby steps

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I just added my first 2 clowns to my 20g tank.
I cycled the water for just over a month to make sure my parameters are good and that nothing got hurt in the process of adding.

I finally got my clowns (2-3cm) I wanted in last night. They are still a bit shy and have not eaten yet.
I started feeding this morning only pallets so far - my pepper shrimp and hermits went nuts eating everything.

Please tell me its normal and obvious behavior for the clowns not to eat so early when introducing them to the new environment.

My feeding schedule will go as follows:
In the mornings I will feed pallets, just enough to get everyone in the tank going for the day.
When I get back home in the afternoon I will feed brine extra small and add a bit of pallets - I will feed the brine with a feeding tube to make sure in the start every heartbeat has eaten and top it off with pallets to fill the spots missed. :)

Is there anything missed? or anything that should be added? If so please do let me know I would like to keep my kids as happy as possible.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new additions will take a little while to settle into the tank, especially if they were shipped. Shipping is stressful for the fish and may cause them to lose appetite for a few days. I would give them 3-4 days before I start worrying. Just make sure the pellets are not too big for them to actually eat. Clowns will eat almost anything you throw in so just be patient for the time being.

Also I’m assuming they were aqua-cultured because of their size, so you shouldn’t have many problems

OP
OP
Toastie

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new additions will take a little while to settle into the tank, especially if they were shipped. Shipping is stressful for the fish and may cause them to lose appetite for a few days. I would give them 3-4 days before I start worrying. Just make sure the pellets are not too big for them to actually eat. Clowns will eat almost anything you throw in so just be patient for the time being.

Also I’m assuming they were aqua-cultured because of their size, so you shouldn’t have many problems
Pallets are super mini. They are exactly what the shipper fed them.
Thanks for guidance, its a relief.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pallets are super mini. They are exactly what the shipper fed them.
Thanks for guidance, its a relief.
Yeah, if they were shipped just give them some time and try to not harass them with food. If they don’t want any they will be okay. Eventually their stomaches will win them over haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back