Back again...question for opening a seal on drilled holes

tory990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok been a bit guys but I got my tank sanded and as clear as it's getting I think. Tank stand has been painted and is ready. Now I'm moving to getting the plumbing ready. The tank I have is drilled in the rear middle bottom. Problem is original owner sealed it with flex seal and I think silicone. He says oh you can remove that. Question is how? I got the bottom acrylic panel off, still one inside the tank. But there is sealant all over it plus he put something (flex seal I assume) in the holes themselves. It's rubbery and sticky. I had to use a hammer and putty knife to get the bottom piece off, not sure how I'm gonna do that inside the tank for that panel. He said it would peel off, it's not peeling off. Question is how do I get this off so I can use the holes, or do I just reseal the mess, it was leaking anyway and start over with either a cannister filter or drill new holes? I really want to avoid drilling especially now that I've removed the seal.and I'm afraid it would leak. I'll add a picture of the bottom after I removed it.

20210515_172136.jpg 20210515_172144.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect either one to stick well to acrylic. I would think a Razor blade would be the best way to remove as much of the silicone and Flexseal as possible. Then use it to cut the bond between them to separate them. If you decide to seal them properly use Weld-on 4 or similar to do it properly. You will need to completely remove all the silicone and Flexseal first. One piece of acrylic on the inside should be good for a permanent repair.

OP
OP
T

tory990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect either one to stick well to acrylic. I would think a Razor blade would be the best way to remove as much of the silicone and Flexseal as possible. Then use it to cut the bond between them to separate them. If you decide to seal them properly use Weld-on 4 or similar to do it properly. You will need to completely remove all the silicone and Flexseal first. One piece of acrylic on the inside should be good for a permanent repair.
Thanks for the reply. I did manage to get the pieces off and when I did the holes were just filled with the flex seal. I was able to carve it with a knife and peel the rest in the holes off. But now I see a Crack in the bottom. Doesn't look completely through and it's probably inch and a half long. The residue from the silicone or flex seal may be covering it but if not is it possible to seal/fill it? If not I will have to cover the holes and it up again.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to get all the residual from the previous repair off first! If it is cracked weld-on 4 will wick into the crack if the is no silicone or flex seal. I would probably bond a piece of acrylic over the area to reinforce it and then drill a hole through the new acrylic. How are you planning to do the overflow?

OP
OP
T

tory990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to get all the residual from the previous repair off first! If it is cracked weld-on 4 will wick into the crack if the is no silicone or flex seal. I would probably bond a piece of acrylic over the area to reinforce it and then drill a hole through the new acrylic. How are you planning to do the overflow?
Well since the crack is directly between the two drilled holes I'm not sure. I like your idea of covering the are with a new acrylic panel and drilling through that. I'd planned on doing a herbie style if I can manage it with the crack. It may end up being I have to drill the back or have it done.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patching over both holes is definitely the best way to do it. I would patch from the inside. Are you planning to build an overflow box or just have the drains in the tank? If building a box cut you patch to fit just inside the box or bigger and have the box sit on top of it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.3%
Back