Back at it again 40B

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my mp10’s are from 2011 and 2013, can anybody weigh in as to wether or not it’s worth it to upgrade the controllers to quiet drives or should I just save up and buy entirely new ones when I can? This tank is about 3 feet from my bedroom door so I am aiming for as quiet as possible but don’t wanna throw away 100$

My 45 gallon cube is in my bedroom. I had an older non Quiet Drive MP40 was noisy so I switched it out for a qd controller along with a new wet side and it made a big difference. I had a non Quiet drive mp10 on a biocube in there before and I never noticed the power head. Water trickling has always been the issue I have with the tanks in the bedroom. Full disclosure though I flew helicopters for the army for 9 years and my hearing is a little suspect...

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 45 gallon cube is in my bedroom. I had an older non Quiet Drive MP40 was noisy so I switched it out for a qd controller along with a new wet side and it made a big difference. I had a non Quiet drive mp10 on a biocube in there before and I never noticed the power head. Water trickling has always been the issue I have with the tanks in the bedroom. Full disclosure though I flew helicopters for the army for 9 years and my hearing is a little suspect...

Thanks man, yeah I may take the plunge and just order two new controllers

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may possibly be the best thing about any aquarium.......
9d50199e0676059329b523b3a698c17c.jpg

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped out my tunze return with an old jebao dc6000. Vibration from tunze was driving me crazy. The jebao got rid of it completely. Running it on about 20% but the overflows can easily handle it at full speed they just get noisey

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for any who may know, I had cured and cycled live rock in a 20 AIO for about 6 months or so. Had a clown in that went surfing and got sucked into the return pump and died there. Not trying to be cruel but I left it in there figuring the little guys body would help sustain any bacteria on the rock for a amonth or two and I knew I wanted to put the rock in the sump of this one. How would I know if my tank still needs to be cycled? Assuming the beneficial bacteria is still on the rock then I wouldn’t get a cycle right? Maybe I should just add some of the more reputable cycling chemicals to the tank to be safe and test it a couple of days later? I guess to be safe I could just add some raw shrimp and start a fresh cycle. By that time it will be reef a palooza and I can go hog wild while I am there lol. Anyone have any thoughts (a la “if I were in your shoes I would.....”)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You shouldn't have a cycle at this point (the fish's remains will have cycled the tank already). If you want to do something, you could feed the tank, but I wouldn't worry about doing much else.

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have a cycle at this point (the fish's remains will have cycled the tank already). If you want to do something, you could feed the tank, but I wouldn't worry about doing much else.

Appreciate the response, kinda confirmed my thoughts on the matter.

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
56427080b7fb6dd76448366108ecb3aa.jpg

Everything is full and has been running for about s week now. Added a small amount of food and will test water tomorrow when I get my new test kits. If everything is as it should be I’ll likely pick up a fish or two next weekend and test again after a week of feeding and fish waste. If all goes well I’ll start grabbing frags

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the water right after initial setup (about two weeks ago) and had what looked to be a very minimal amount of ammonia. Just tested it again tonight and everything is a. Ice perfect zero. Gonna put together the screen top tonight and hopefully grab a fish or two tomorrow or later this week

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates, got an apex and built a separate electronics cabinet for it. Rigged up some 24v fans to hook up to the 24v connectors on the 832. Loving it so far. Only problem I am encountering chemically is as the temperature is rising here in sunny central Florida we have been running the air. Consequently the ph of the tank is sitting at about 7.6 at night and not really much higher in the day. Doesn’t go above 7.8. Ok cooler days with the windows open it shoots right back up to 7.9-8.2, I’m debating between setting up a co2 scrubber and deciding a way to run the skimmer air intake outside. Leaning towards the scrubber as I am NOT putting a hole in my walls and the only other alternative would be running a line of some sort (prob 1/2”-3/4” pvc) up the wall, into the attic, and then right to one of the soffits. As I already have an idea where I would like to eventually put a much larger tank the idea of putting extra holes in even the interior walls makes me hesitate. I could probably rig up something with a window that is about 2 feet from the tank too but I’m still going over that in my head. Any ideas?

Also built a small shelf for inside the stand to hold my 2 part supplies (not using yet as all I have in there so far is a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp, but would like to be prepared for when I do need it.

Swapped out the jebao dc return with a varios2 and added a wavepuck (controlled via one of the 0-10’s on the apex). Also added a wxm module to the apex to control the mp10’s.

Other than that not much going on but I am looking forward to going to RAP Orlando this Sunday!!!!!!

A few pics:

b0e928e564c6e18451af97257f0f07c9.jpg
f16e40cff1b5bb5b144483b7dc3da6cc.jpg
ccbc060f375fb87c102047e767269aea.jpg
cba66d6f51a1e241541f9e49330a3444.jpg

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow been a long time since I updated this thread. The message from mdbannister reminded me of that lol. Things have been going well. Slacked on my water changes and had a bit of a parameters issue a couple of weeks ago, actually lost a ton of tissue on my birdsnest of all things but it is quickly returning to form since I got back on schedule. Added dimmable t5’s to supplement the reefbreeders. Not sure it actually needed this but the disco ball effect was driving me crazy. Been having issues finding fish that my two clowns won’t murder. Today I picked up a nice melanarius wrasse from WWC so we will see how that goes. Other than that been trying my best to snipe corals from WWC auctions and picking them up in store. So far I have a green slimer, red green and purple caps, a couple chalices, two pavona, and a cyphastrea. Almost had the wife convinced on a bigger tank but then she enrolled in a masters program at Florida southern so looks like I have a 40 breeder for at least the next 20 months lol!

OP
OP
Mystical_Knight

Mystical_Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll snap another pic when the t5’s come on, should be able to see more of the corals then

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back