ZomboMeme 27102020101916.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll introduce myself. :)
I live in the midwest and have a 7 year old son (who I'd love to get into the hobby!), a 23 year old stepson, 21 year old stepdaughter, 2 dalmatians, a mini dachshund, and 2 old cats. Have to have a tank too!
I work for a financial planning firm, and when not at the office, I enjoy spending time with my family, my dogs, kayaking, live concerts, and obviously fishkeeping. ;)
I'm new to setting up a saltwater tank myself, but not new to fishkeeping in general (my dad introduced me to the hobby when I was 5 years old and I've kept various freshwater fish ever since). He had a 55 gallon reef tank when I was younger and I was always mesmerized by it. My job was helping test the water and feeding the anemones. We had yellow tangs, damsels, angelfish, clownfish, a wrasse or two, shrimp, and my absolute favorite - a fox face rabbitfish.
I recently decided I want to attempt a reef tank. I HOPE, because I do have 30+ years of experience with fish and tank upkeep in general, and have my dad around to help, that some of that knowledge will translate over to success with saltwater... but I suppose I'll find out!
I opted to go with an acrylic tank in the largest size we have room for currently - 29 gallon (30"L x 12" W x 18" H). It's a SeaClear show tank, and it's different than what I'm used to but looks pretty sweet!
I had planned on an African cichlid setup actually, but changed my mind. I'll definitely start a build thread as I put everything together.
I'll be on here researching and asking questions for sure!
Hope to make some friends here that are passionate about the hobby as well and learn as much as I can.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you are going to be very successful, so keep us posted. However, if something does go awry, please treat it as a learning opportunity since bad things occasionally happen to all of us in this hobby. (but expect few bad things in your future given your history, support dad & planning!)

Glad you considering starting your build thread. I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I wish I had started while still in the planning/arrival prep phase to capture those early photos. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you are going to be very successful, so keep us posted. However, if something does go awry, please treat it as a learning opportunity since bad things occasionally happen to all of us in this hobby. (but expect few bad things in your future given your history, support dad & planning!)

Glad you considering starting your build thread. I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I wish I had started while still in the planning/arrival prep phase to capture those early photos. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thank you! I'm glad I found this forum. :) I appreciate the vote of confidence - I'm excited to get started, and just have to put my anxiety in check (I'm a planner and a perfectionist... causes issues sometimes, not gonna lie!)
I'm going to read that article for sure btw, thanks for sharing!
I think I'll take a couple pics of my tank before starting setup. After seeing the top in person... I'm a little unsure if I'm going to be able to fit what I need to filtration-wise. You'll see what I mean once I start the build thread and post pics. I'm definitely going to need some advice on that. I'm already considering returning the Fluval HOB filter I bought for either a stronger model or ditching it entirely and going with a canister. I see differing opinions on that.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Best starting advice is take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Thank you! :) I can tell there is a wealth of information and real-world experience here.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%

Back