Back at it! Peroxide vrs cyanobacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i couldnt give you any pointers to why. Just that i can always replicate a cyano outbreak within 24 hours of dosing AA.

what did i do with the outbreak? i stopped dosing. cyano usually goes away on it's own.
Do you dose any AAs?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have to show anything, like I said in previously. A quick Google search of previous experiments will show peroxide does not get rid of cyano, as shown in this very thread!

Let me know when you become an accomplished, published and paid scientist or whatever based on your "cures" of everyday issues in a reef tank. I won't hold my breath...

/sigh

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmicb.2015.00714/full

your turn
i hope the universities are credible enough to your liking.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ that's neat had not seen that. It's almost as if you edited the title of the work to make it better match the reflection of the thread here

Tehreefer
It's important for people to always challenge any claim so that over claims are filtered out, but posts here also indicate it helped

That's a non confrontational assessment but it's meant to not exclude clear successes mentioned here

If nobody is claiming to fix all cyano tanks and simply many are helped, and no unpredicted losses occurred during an easy trial and TW is reflecting on those collections I don't see where over claiming has occurred.

So much about peroxide online is the extreme

it never works
it kills all bacteria that are good
it cures anything, just dump in tank

to me it seems rational to invite a bunch of people to post in a thread and try and sift through for patterns

Even if we are skeptical about any aspect one cannot have a bad reaction to a bunch of free data to sift and remark upon, including the successes. Skeptics keep important checks and balances.

Last edited:

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man! finally an answer from a question 6-9 months ago.

i asked what the half life of h202 was when i was treating dinos and got some wild answers like 48 hours (which is not what i observed) - more like 4-5 hours.

anyway...

http://research-repository.uwa.edu....21dc-7144-40f6-b0da-c4e4ea918e56)/export.html

couple experiments here...

2.3 and 4.5 hour half life.

It may have a fast rate of decay, but this is also interesting to me :)

H2O2.jpg

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i asked what the half life of h202 was ... and got some wild answers like 48 hours (which is not what i observed) - more like 4-5 hours.
My read of this is not that the half-life of H2O2 is 2.3 to 4.5 hours. Rather that 2.3 hours is the half-life of the cyanobacteria population in the test and 4.5 hours for the total phytoplankton in the test, at the dosage level tested.

The H2O2 depletion rate was not mentioned in exponential terms. Rather it was only said to have totally broken down within 48 hours. I do agree that you are right that H2O2 degrades quite rapidly but I do not know when it has fallen to 50% of its original dosage concentration. Does anyone know whether H2O2 breaks down at exponential rates or at linear rates?

How about looking these references articles again and see if you agree.

Last edited:

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have a fast rate of decay, but this is also interesting to me :)

H2O2.jpg

good find

ime 4 hours and zoas open again. regardless the doseage.

dont have time to read indepth. just skimmed here at work. (speaking of which) i got a meeting.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am basing dose based on ORP as this may be the only negative I can see within a marine tank.
In my opinion we don't want to keep ORP low for extended amounts of time.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard

Do you anticipate that peroxide will be a one time regimen or do you think it is likely there will be reoccurrences of Cyanobacteria requiring retreatment.

Do you have any thoughts on what parameters favor a cyano outbreak
(Some people report amino acids being causative/contributory and yet there are lots of reefers who routinely dose amino acids without outbreaks)

Do you have any thoughts if you are achieving 100% kill of the cyano or just enough suppression to allow for more favorable critters to flourish

Will you ultimately suggest a regimen of dose and duration of treatment

It appears you have gathered quite a bit of information, kudos to your efforts

Reactions: fab

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather that 2.3 hours is the half-life of the cyanobacteria population in the test and 4.5 hours for the xxxxx, at the dosage level tested.
Agreed, they are referring to decay rates of cyano, chlorophytes, cryptophytes and diatoms.

This paper might yield more info on H2O2 decay rates:
Dra´bkova´, M.; Admiraal, W.; Marsa´lek, B. Combined exposure
to hydrogen peroxide and light: Selective effects on cyanobacteria,
green algae, and diatoms. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2007, 41
(1), 309–314.

I have yet to read this!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard

Do you anticipate that peroxide will be a one time regimen or do you think it is likely there will be reoccurrences of Cyanobacteria requiring retreatment.

Do you have any thoughts on what parameters favor a cyano outbreak
(Some people report amino acids being causative/contributory and yet there are lots of reefers who routinely dose amino acids without outbreaks)

Do you have any thoughts if you are achieving 100% kill of the cyano or just enough suppression to allow for more favorable critters to flourish

Will you ultimately suggest a regimen of dose and duration of treatment

It appears you have gathered quite a bit of information, kudos to your efforts
Thank you!
Here in my controlled work it is a 100% kill rate.
In my own tank which was having a huge outbreak I feel it was 100% successful
I have been culturing in a 2.5g tank as my tank is clear of it.

I too feel it may be related to overdosing of AA's as that is what I did at the beginning of the year. I am still exploring the import methods of cyanobacteria into aquariums. It is a tough one. Some say it's there all the time which I disagree with.

Yes I feel I have a firm plan of h2o2 amount, times and precautions.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...This paper might yield more info on H2O2 decay rates:
Dra´bkova´, M.; Admiraal, W.; Marsa´lek, B. Combined exposure
to hydrogen peroxide and light: Selective effects on cyanobacteria,
green algae, and diatoms. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2007, 41
(1), 309–314.

I have yet to read this!
I found the paper in an online digital library, but I do not have access privileges to it. Do you have a non-proprietary link to the article?

BTW, the article you provided on oxidative stress is good. Maybe it points us to what we need to consider for long term, perhaps infrequent and lower dosage level, maintenance dosing after having completed a round of riddance dosing.

Last edited:

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say it's there all the time

This may have a ring of truth to it :)

Three hundred and fifty five days of the year I never see it in my tank and then, one water parameter goes out through AA dosing, nutrient spikes, a light change my eyes have not picked up, too much carbon dosing e.t.c. and boom, there's some funky colour cyano on a patch of rock that always seems to disappear again after a week or so :)

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRT barring Cyanobacteria from entry, does anyone know whether cyanobacteria should be expectable in RODI water that was processed from 'city' water? ...Flint water excluded!

If so, would a dose of H2O2 on our topoff water and our new saltwater prior to putting it on our display tanks be a good border patrol agent to prevent illegal entry, ab initio? The H2O2 would degrade to very low levels within hours, mostly gone overnight before using the 'new' water.

...and what about a few passes through a germicidal UV to blast away at their DNA before introduction into our display tanks?

Last edited:

bayondai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have had spirulina too. I dosed peroxide once a day for 7 days and then twice a day for another 7 days with no change. I used chemiclean 2 days ago and it is gone. It usually shows up almost every season change which is kind of weird or probably just a coincidence.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the paper in an online digital library, but I do not have access privileges to it. Do you have a non-proprietary link to the article?

BTW, the article you provided on oxidative stress is good. Maybe it points us to what we need to consider for long term, perhaps infrequent and lower dosage level, maintenance dosing after having completed a round of riddance dosing.

I have the paper, but it doesn't really elaborate on H2O2 decay rates.

Why do scientists still put unsubstantiated statements of fact into their papers, I would have my students going back out there, finding a reference for this!
H2O2_2.jpg

Still a decent read if you want me to email the paper to you?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 128 48.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.1%
Back