OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the paper, but it doesn't really elaborate on H2O2 decay rates.

Why do scientists still put unsubstantiated statements of fact into their papers, I would have my students going back out there, finding a reference for this!
H2O2_2.jpg

Still a decent read if you want me to email the paper to you?

Cheers
This is why I love what I do. "Known to degrade fast" is a wide statment.
Does it degrades slower in pure rodi water than in a tank full of compounds and elements? "What" breaks down h2o2? More organics to me would show faster degradation verses water with no organics.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion has been very interesting to me for several reasons.
1. I, too, noticed the cyanobacteria bloom after I started ramping up amino acid and mineral supplements (namely iron) to match directions on the Red Sea packaging. As such, I discontinued all additive additions until I could get a handle on the cyanobacteria bloom.

2. Peroxide dosing seems to be helping me knock down the cyanobacteria with no apparent harm to any other tank inhabitants.

3. I've dosed the peroxide at much higher levels than mentioned above (37.5 mL per day in three equal doses) with no apparent issues. Peroxide seems to be fairly benign, from my experience.

Just my anecdotal evidence.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion has been very interesting to me for several reasons.
1. I, too, noticed the cyanobacteria bloom after I started ramping up amino acid and mineral supplements (namely iron) to match directions on the Red Sea packaging. As such, I discontinued all additive additions until I could get a handle on the cyanobacteria bloom.

2. Peroxide dosing seems to be helping me knock down the cyanobacteria with no apparent harm to any other tank inhabitants.

3. I've dosed the peroxide at much higher levels than mentioned above (37.5 mL per day in three equal doses) with no apparent issues. Peroxide seems to be fairly benign, from my experience.

Just my anecdotal evidence.
Yes this is exactly the reason why I am using h2o2 in this. No harm when applied with caution. (Not directly into the stream of inhabitants )

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is exactly the reason why I am using h2o2 in this. No harm when applied with caution. (Not directly into the stream of inhabitants )
I apply my peroxide to the overflow just like I do kalkwasser so that it has to go through the sump before it is returned to the display tank.

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sorry I'm not a wanna be scientist of great importance like yourself. A quick search of various studies by you know, actual paid scientists and biologists,in the past 15-20 years will give you all the evidence you need."

I had no idea you had to be paid to be considered a scientist. Must be just like artists. So you know this means any of these University papers wouldn't be able to be written by students of science since they are not being paid for their work.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an interesting thread & Ive been following quietly. I have a 60 gallon tank with canister filter (don’t shoot me) which I clean every couple months + hanging protein skimmer + UV lamp. I’ve had cyanobacteria come & go over past year that Ive had my saltwater tank. I just applied ChemiClean into the tank over the weekend but want to try the Peroxide and see what I get. Two Questions: (1) When do you think it’s safe to apply peroxide after Chemiclean, and (2) Do I need to oxygenate the tank as with Chemiclean?

As a side note Im now planning for 350 gallon main tank + 150 sump. Im getting a stand built, then will order the tanks, so Im looking forward to my upgrade over next few months.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have poured 3% peroxide directly oncorals to combat brown jelly and its usually worked. My tank with cyano is a rimless, so i just distribute it throughout the top of the tank. Havent had one problem.

eh. lps and softies can take it.
certain sps cannot.

my pink lemonade died to peroxide

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an interesting thread & Ive been following quietly. I have a 60 gallon tank with canister filter (don’t shoot me) which I clean every couple months + hanging protein skimmer + UV lamp. I’ve had cyanobacteria come & go over past year that Ive had my saltwater tank. I just applied ChemiClean into the tank over the weekend but want to try the Peroxide and see what I get. Two Questions: (1) When do you think it’s safe to apply peroxide after Chemiclean, and (2) Do I need to oxygenate the tank as with Chemiclean?

As a side note Im now planning for 350 gallon main tank + 150 sump. Im getting a stand built, then will order the tanks, so Im looking forward to my upgrade over next few months.
H2o2 can be added at any time.
Also there is no need to add an O2 source to the tank wile using peroxide as peroxide has o2 in its compound.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 can be added at any time.
Also there is no need to add an O2 source to the tank wile using peroxide as peroxide has o2 in its compound.
I've worked in the chemical industry for some time, and on more than one occasion I've worked with peroxides and other oxidizers to initiate radical reactions. I've often wondered if it's the actual oxygen produced from peroxide decomposition or other radicals formed during decomposition that are effective in this application. Just a random mental detour ;)

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What" breaks down h2o2?

You could add a catalyst-school experiments add yeast to hasten the decomposition or add ferric chloride, which is interesting for those of us that dose iron into our systems.

Light will also cause decomposition or is it the UV?

pH, if memory serves, also affects the decomposition rate?

Good luck in your work :)

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paid to be considered a scientist

Citizen scientists are of immense importance and have made big discoveries in the past and continue to contribute, with research scientists, to the world's knowledge base :)

written by students of science since they are not being paid for their work

Not really the undergrads, not until their 3rd or 4th years, but most certainly at the honours level and into postgraduate study. They do, however, get academic credit, having their names associated with published papers together with their supervisors.

To some people this is more important than getting paid :)

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've start dosing my tank today. Almost all of my cyano is in spots that aren't "camera-friendly", but I'm excited to see the results. Thanks a ton for all of your work on this twilliard!

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 is sensitive to light I dont believe it has to be UV as it can decomp in ambient room lighting rather quickly.
But my tank is approx two weeks out after dosing H2O2 and here is how its looking.
20160502_211634.jpg

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we just need to find a dosing regiment for dinos. Went away during treatment but returned shortly after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 126 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back