OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably need to send you a sample of mine, twilliard. I have a large red area that just isn't responding to H2O2. Doing 2 treatments a day at 8am and 8pm. I have a 25g tank, no sump, so using 2.5ml per dose.
Any time my scope is always open for positive identification and easy to ship.
Nothing like shipping a coral and 24 hour shipping is not needed at all.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I must say I am truly impressed with your work and dedication to this subject. Thankful as well.
I just joined this club, shortly after setting up my account details, this thread was the first to catch my attention and have read the thread from beginning to end.
I myself have searched for a way to rid tanks of cyano bacteria after running into a brown snot like strand in a tank I got from another member in my local reef club.
Many hours of searching the interwebs, I found an article that recommended the use of cuprisorb( copper absorption media) to remove the iron from the water that the bacteria feeds off of. This side effect of this media worked great in starving out this substance. I did not have a microscope to confirm what I was dealing with weather it was Dino's or a cyano strand.
I posted my findings on our local reef club forum for others to read just in case they were experiencing this similar looking cyano problem and have been searching for information in European countries on peroxide dosing to kill cyano. I have used this treatment to rid my tank of cyano successfully last year and had the thought that I had reintroduced cyano back into my tank after buying or trading frags with other local reefers.
After reading all pages included here I have a greater understanding of what I am dealing with currently in my reef.
I do have red / maroon cyano on my rocks and sand, but the patches on my rock appear to have same colored but different bacteria or substance mixed in as well. The texture is different and appears to have a better hold on the rock as it doesn't siphon off easily like the cyano mats. Makes perfect sense that some forms of dinoflagellates and spirulinia look similar to Cyanobacteria. I've always believed that there were different stands , so to speak, of cyano and Dino's and your work with a microscope has given us a greater understanding of what we encounter in our aquariums.
Thank you for your time and the time of those that helped you out on this subject.
And a little shout out and thanks to a member of my local reef club for recommending that I join R2R community @Humblefish
This is where I love what I do. I have a passion to learn and help others in situations where a member just wants to give up.
If I can keep at least 1 tank breakdown a year I will be happy!
I am interested to hear more about you.
Where are you from?
Without a scope people are shooting in the dark with treatment plans.
A person can not start adding stuff to tanks with the "hope" it goes away.
I have identified many organisms and bacteria that acts and looks like the common cyanobacteria
As I have said and this is for ALL who reads this..
If h2o2 is having NO change to the tank it is NOT cyanobacteria
Over and over again I have a 100% success rate against cyanobacteria with h2o2 here at the lab bench.
Thank you for joining and I see potential in you.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BluewaterLa as @twilliard has stated if H2O2 is having no effects on an area you are dealing with other bacteria strands. From what you describe is similar to what I have dealt with in my 125. When you have both Cyano and spirulina the look very similar but the texture and the strength of the mat shows the difference to the naked eye. For some time I believed it was strictly cyano based off of color but the scope proved different my tank has shown drastic improvement over the last month, that was made possible by looking at random post and taking a swing at H2O2. This has been an awesome ride for me and have made a good friend through this thread, thanks again @twilliard for using my tank as a specimen for this experiment.
@BluewaterLa welcome to R2R it really is a great community and hey tell us a little about yourself.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for an update on tye 125 everything is looking awesome still clear as can be and the GHA is still going away.
Water Quality
Ca 445
Mg 1470
Dkh 7.8
Po4 .5
No3 .2
Ammonia not detected
PH 8.34
S.G. 1.025
20160507_211453.jpg

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard , I reside down in the BOOT :D southeast Louisiana, Slidell to be exact it's about 20 miles north of downtown New Orleans.
I look forward to getting familiar with some of the more non trolling type members here haha. I've seen a few post in this thread that suggest such persons love to argue just for the sake of it.
Anywho, I can't wait to lay eyes on your final write up, will it be in this thread or in a new post ?

@cowboy , I have a post in the new member forum :p

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now spirulina and cyano free. I dosed chemiclean for spirulina and finished the last dose of peroxide at midnight last night for cyano. My tank looks awesome. Just have red coralline now.[emoji4]

Oh yeah and not a single loss doing 2ml/10g with lots of coral, fish, nems, clams, and inverts.

Dantheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, it looks like I too am in need of help. My Reef system consists of a 40 gallon Breeder with 18 gallon sump. I began treating with 5.8ml H2O2 two times a day for the first seven days only to see very little results. I have now been treating for 17 days and have slowly increased my dosage every few days and am now up to 9.0ml twice daily. I am seeing a few dead spots here and there but am also seeing continual growth in other areas of my sand and rocks. I am seeing a mustard- green color variety of either cyano or dynos on the low areas of rocks and sand, and a brownish black variety on the sand only.
On a side note: I have not had any negative effects on my corals, fish, sexy shrimp and snails when treating at 9.0ml H2O2 twice daily.
Please let me know how to contact you for details on where and how to ship samples.
Thank you for your hard work and contributions to this hobby.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA man love that place I spent a big deal of time fishing and shooting nutras down around Houma. Good food good people and beautiful place miss it wanna move back some day.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA man love that place I spent a big deal of time fishing and shooting nutras down around Houma. Good food good people and beautiful place miss it wanna move back some day.

Only thing to not miss are Mosquitos and gnats

Reactions: fab

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on your tank if you can get both type of mats under a scope I have a feeling you have both cyano and spirulina

Last edited:

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post to keep on track of the thread

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, it looks like I too am in need of help. My Reef system consists of a 40 gallon Breeder with 18 gallon sump. I began treating with 5.8ml H2O2 two times a day for the first seven days only to see very little results. I have now been treating for 17 days and have slowly increased my dosage every few days and am now up to 9.0ml twice daily. I am seeing a few dead spots here and there but am also seeing continual growth in other areas of my sand and rocks. I am seeing a mustard- green color variety of either cyano or dynos on the low areas of rocks and sand, and a brownish black variety on the sand only.
On a side note: I have not had any negative effects on my corals, fish, sexy shrimp and snails when treating at 9.0ml H2O2 twice daily.
Please let me know how to contact you for details on where and how to ship samples.
Thank you for your hard work and contributions to this hobby.
SOUNDS just like my tank problem before peroxide and chemiclean.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard , I reside down in the BOOT :D southeast Louisiana, Slidell to be exact it's about 20 miles north of downtown New Orleans.
I look forward to getting familiar with some of the more non trolling type members here haha. I've seen a few post in this thread that suggest such persons love to argue just for the sake of it.
Anywho, I can't wait to lay eyes on your final write up, will it be in this thread or in a new post ?

@cowboy , I have a post in the new member forum :p
I am still debating this. Should I write in a new post or actually write for a link to my website. This one is the biggest I have done and not sure about writing in a new thread based on the lenght of information needed to be written.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Fab the final product could do without alot of the extra dialog, especially for the amount of work that is going into this by @twilliard.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps after the final report is in hand, it and a hand picked selection of on-point posts would make a good sticky. A lot of back and forth dialog is good in real time as things are unfolding, but not so great for a finished "product" on the forum as a sticky thread.
I agree to this
Yes there is a massive amount of information now I just have to find a format that I can use here in R2R to keep it to the point but informative.
My wife usually helps me with this but the chemotherapy really knocks her down and having a hard time getting this done in a timely fashion.
She has 10 weeks left so I hope to make progress then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back