Back at it! Peroxide vrs cyanobacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneckreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I want to try this. So what I get is I should be doing a 1ml per 10 gallon dose for my 90. Now do I add in the sump volume also and what time should I dose? With the lights out or on?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I want to try this. So what I get is I should be doing a 1ml per 10 gallon dose for my 90. Now do I add in the sump volume also and what time should I dose? With the lights out or on?
Yes add in all total volumes.
Dose every 12 hours
Dose during start of lighting then dose after lights off after 12 hours

Redneckreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes add in all total volumes.
Dose every 12 hours
Dose during start of lighting then dose after lights off after 12 hours
The dosing will be hard for me. I go leave for work between 5-6am and don't get home till after 6pm. That is 6 days a week. Could I do the doses every morning and evening?

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dosed at 5:30 am and then again at around 6pm. I had very good luck with that

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are literally adding hydrogen peroxide to your tank ? I have dipped with 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide ... I don't like to do this because it seems hard on the zoa that I am treating ... I am having some problems with the cyano again in the dead spots ... I have illuminated my problems long ago with 3 mp40 ... I plan to simply use some small pumps to spot treat... (BTW 210 gallon reef zoa dominated ) ... but I like the idea of dosing if it were safe? I believe that chemo clean works yeah same with peroxide ... but what is the real issue ,,,, would dosing peroxide be another bandage or a solution ? I believe you are onto something for sure ... I hope to learn more !

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I wanted to ask ... is it fair to say the 50/50 dip for 20-30 seconds max the same as dipping for a longer time say 5 minutes with a weaker 97/3 ratio ... I hope that question makes sense ... thanks !!

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoas they close up for a bit then they open back up. The only thing that I lost is a starfish.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 is a solution and not a bandaid. I have seen it time and time again under the microscope.
There is a 100% kill rate

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I wanted to ask ... is it fair to say the 50/50 dip for 20-30 seconds max the same as dipping for a longer time say 5 minutes with a weaker 97/3 ratio ... I hope that question makes sense ... thanks !!
I am unsure as I have not done a lot of work using it as a dip.
I can say that a small colony of zoanthids I have survived a 100% dip for the control of bryopsis on it.

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure as I have not done a lot of work using it as a dip.
I can say that a small colony of zoanthids I have survived a 100% dip for the control of bryopsis on it.
so you are dosing simple hydrogen peroxide grocery store bought cheap good old whiten your teeth or wash your clothes lol ... I love that !! and so far reef safe ?

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a small outbreak of the red cyano. So I might have to get a new bottle of the hydrogen peroxide to get rid of it.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you are dosing simple hydrogen peroxide grocery store bought cheap good old whiten your teeth or wash your clothes lol ... I love that !! and so far reef safe ?
Yes the simple store bought 3% peroxide
Also reef safe :)

Watch out chemiclean here I come! Lol

Doc Holiday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years?
It's as easy as sending me a sample or having at least a 2500 power scope
Yeah, it wore me out to the point I've lost interest in the hobby. I've been doing this for 20 years and decided I want the $$ more than the hobby now. So its time. I've had a good run! I'll have much more free time I suppose. Thanks for the offer though!

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will we know when it's completely dead? Once it's dead does it still como and go thru out the day? I've been dosing for weeks now.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will we know when it's completely dead? Once it's dead does it still como and go thru out the day? I've been dosing for weeks now.
If you have been dosing as outlined for weeks it is not cyanobacteria
Have I tested any samples for you? Sorry I get so many in I looses track

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the recommended dosing regimen? I'm currently battling a cyano outbreak in my 150.

Thanks!
1ml per 10g to start with dosed every 12 hours morning and night for 14 days.
At the 7 day mark there should be noticeable decrease in cyanobacteria. If it is not changing there is a possibility that it's not cyanobacteria.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the 7 day mark of dosing 1ml/10G twice daily. The cyano is starting to disappear, but there is still a fair amount on the rocks.

When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that a 3" acro frag had experienced RTN with about 90% tissue loss. The frag was fine when I left for work in the morning. I can't say whether the RTN was due to the dosing or some other factor, but seeing as how all other corals seem to be okay, I suspect that it was some other cause. Of course, it had to happen to my nicest acro :(

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN is a situation that does not have a lot of answers to.
What I can say is that h2o2 would not have been the cause unless directly exposed to.

Reactions: fab

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My search didn't yield any results so I wanted to ask if dosing peroxide with NoPoX is ok?

Also, diluting the 3% peroxide with RODI water (say 20%) and dosing with a dosing pump ok too? Reason I'm asking is because I have a 30 gallon and I wouldn't trust the dosing pump to dose 3mls and I want to give it something higher. Plus I am not home for the every 12 hour part so dosing pump sounds more reasonable if it's possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back