OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes people have been successful at using dosing pumps. The dilution ratio though would have to be determined. You can use h2o2 in conjunction with nopox as the diluted h2o2 in the tank would not be sufficient enough to lower the organics in it.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN is a situation that does not have a lot of answers to.
What I can say is that h2o2 would not have been the cause unless directly exposed to.
I tend to agree with you. The H2O2 was dosed to the overflow, so no direct contact. In addition, all other corals seem fine and I suspect that if peroxide was the cause then I would think that other acros would be affected as well.

Having said that, I felt it prudent to share my experience to add to the body of knowledge and observations..

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard Just read the novel, good reed. I am waiting for a good exciting ending. :)
I am starting to dose 10ml/ 10gal of water volume appropriately every 12 hours. I would like to get the results that at least 90% have gotton @cowboy it also did a numbers on your GHA?

scfurse77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, So i see your dosing this for 14 days. Is that just the the amount of time that you have come up with to rid the tank of Cyano or is it like an antibiotic to where you'll see results in a few days but still having to take the meds so that it doesn't come back? Hope this makes sense?

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard Just read the novel, good reed. I am waiting for a good exciting ending. :)
I am starting to dose 10ml/ 10gal of water volume appropriately every 12 hours. I would like to get the results that at least 90% have gotton @cowboy it also did a numbers on your GHA?
Yea it didi but i would strongly recommend cutting your dose to 1ml/10gal or 1ml/8 gal per 12 hrs

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cowboy I have 81 gallons of water volume and I am dosing 8ml an hour before lights on and 7ml a half hour after light out.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat the project. Your wife needs you. We can wait. She can't. Good wishes and prayers for her.

Yup. I'm with you 100% on this one. My wife went through 18 months of chemo and radiation. She was my number one priority, everything else took a back seat.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker sorry the way i read it you were dosing 10 mils/10 gal. But you can dose the same amount A.M. and P.M.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker sorry the way i read it you were dosing 10 mils/10 gal. But you can dose the same amount A.M. and P.M.
@cowboy no apology needed, I do it all the time:). Thank you for answering and your posts in this thread are very helpful.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys due to the lenght of the information gathered I don't think I can start a new thread on the subject.
What I can do is write up a diagnosis and treatment thread.
The full writeup I am hoping to have published.

Asking members and followers please list bullet points you would like to see and maybe I can get a pinned thread setup.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys due to the lenght of the information gathered I don't think I can start a new thread on the subject.
What I can do is write up a diagnosis and treatment thread.
The full writeup I am hoping to have published.

Asking members and followers please list bullet points you would like to see and maybe I can get a pinned thread setup.
Make it short and to the point.
1 how much
2 how long
3 what are the effects
4 how long do the effects last
Then you can go into the research finding and physical data.

Last edited:

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread from the beginning. Now that l see no negative effects on other people tanks its time for me to jump in. I have a 40b with 20g sump about 50g water. I'm going to start dosing 5ml at 6pm then at 6am and keep this going. I'll keep you all informed on how it's going.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463056986.633638.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463056999.605750.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cowboy
I have been working on steps to help people confirm cyanobacteria without a microscope.
This is the toughest part.
It's so odd how chemiclean knocks spirulina out but doesn't readily treat cyanobacteria itself. I have tested this time and time again.
If people use chemiclean and the mats go away I am going to say it wasn't cyanobacteria they had.
So through the course of this work identifying what is in the water will be rather difficult for the average tank owner.
I am setting up steps for people to be able to test outside the tank to identify what they have with just a cup and peroxide since it is so readily available.
@jsker
Thanks for those points I think I will follow a format in that nature.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread from the beginning. Now that l see no negative effects on other people tanks its time for me to jump in. I have a 40b with 20g sump about 50g water. I'm going to start dosing 5ml at 6pm then at 6am and keep this going. I'll keep you all informed on how it's going.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463056986.633638.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463056999.605750.jpg
Thank you for joining in on this.
It will be interesting to follow your tank.

One question
Does it seem to go away at night and come back during the day?
This will aid me in another theory I am working on about identification
(Yup guys I am on to something big... ;) )

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smh

your tank pics show to be a good candidate for this because you haven't stored up a bunch of waste, I can see the cross section of that sandbed and its pretty clean. the areas around the rocks, off to the side no detritus. im looking at live rock closeups and there aren't algae patches holding in detritus, this is a pretty clean tank. the cyano that hitched in is just doing its cyano globe traveler thing... if you don't kill it eventually some will export back out and wind up in Fiji one day or in your garden under some tomatoes. killing it is fun, its fun to be without invasion. looks good to go.

I personally would choose peroxide over chemi clean for water based additives to battle cyano. I think its easier on the biosystem even in overdose situations. certainly no need to oxygenate when using the p.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for joining in on this.
It will be interesting to follow your tank.

One question
Does it seem to go away at night and come back during the day?
This will aid me in another theory I am working on about identification
(Yup guys I am on to something big... ;) )

That is exactly what I have. It's on the right and left side of my tank but not really the center and it is almost gone at night when lights out and it shows up when lights come up. Is this according to your theory cyano or not cyano?

scfurse77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, So i see your dosing this for 14 days. Is that just the the amount of time that you have come up with to rid the tank of Cyano or is it like an antibiotic to where you'll see results in a few days but still having to take the meds so that it doesn't come back? Hope this makes sense?

?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back