OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I have. It's on the right and left side of my tank but not really the center and it is almost gone at night when lights out and it shows up when lights come up. Is this according to your theory cyano or not cyano?

This is something I am gathering data on. I have a theory about this occurrence. More lab tests before I can come to a definitive conclusion. You are on the right track though. I think this possibly can be the indicator.

Yes the 14 days is to aid in the death of free floating cells. I am calling it the safety zone.

Last edited:

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for joining in on this.
It will be interesting to follow your tank.

One question
Does it seem to go away at night and come back during the day?
This will aid me in another theory I am working on about identification
(Yup guys I am on to something big... ;) )
Yes it does go away a little at night but not all the way. It's only on the sand not on any rock. I clean it out every sat and it back by the end of the next day. There is no other algae in my tank. I'm not shore if it's cynao. I've had cynao before and it's been more red in color.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does go away a little at night but not all the way. It's only on the sand not on any rock. I clean it out every sat and it back by the end of the next day. There is no other algae in my tank. I'm not shore if it's cynao. I've had cynao before and it's been more red in color.
Yes I noticed the color more of a rusty red you have.
May I ask what have you used in the past to treat it?
I sure would like to get my hands on a sample of that!

Looking for a sample from a tank where it seems to go away at night and come back when lights are on. I have a hunch ;)

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Chemi-Clean on the red cynao I've had before. I really don't like that stuff. I've haven't used any thing to try to get rid of this yet. It's funny this just started to show up around the same time this thread was started. Twilliard if you PM me your address I will send some to you.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Chemi-Clean on the red cynao I've had before. I really don't like that stuff. I've haven't used any thing to try to get rid of this yet. It's funny this just started to show up around the same time this thread was started. Twilliard if you PM me your address I will send some to you.
PM on the way!
Did the chemiclean work for you?

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM on the way!
Did the chemiclean work for you?
Yes it did work well it just made my skimmer go crazy for weeks. I'll try peroxide for a couple weeks and if it doesn't work then I'll try chemiclean again.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it did work well it just made my skimmer go crazy for weeks. I'll try peroxide for a couple weeks and if it doesn't work then I'll try chemiclean again.
Interesting!! As chemiclean doesn't readily attack cyanobacteria
Here is today's cyanobacteria culture ready to test in 7 days
14630696293701973640202.jpg

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't chemiclean made for Cyanobacteria? Should I wait for you to get the sample I sent you before I start dosing peroxide?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't chemiclean made for Cyanobacteria? Should I wait for you to get the sample I sent you before I start dosing peroxide?
Well I can't come out and really say what it is for. I would hate to get a cease and desist order lol
Once you can get me a sample I would go ahead with the h2o2 as it's not detrimental to the tank.
If it is cyanobacteria the h2o2 will take care of it.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't come out and really say what it is for. I would hate to get a cease and desist order lol
Once you can get me a sample I would go ahead with the h2o2 as it's not detrimental to the tank.
If it is cyanobacteria the h2o2 will take care of it.
Ok I'll get u that sample and then start dosing. I'm going to have this on a dosing pump should I dose 5ml all at once or spread it out a little?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All at once is fine as long as it is slow so it can dilute with the water and make no direct contact with fish, shrimp and coral. (High flow area)

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All at once is fine as long as it is slow so it can dilute with the water and make no direct contact with fish, shrimp and coral. (High flow area)
Will be using a BRS dosing pump. So it will dose 1.1ml a minute and going into the return section in my sump.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan!
Just got home and here's the tank before I pull your sample. I'm going to test all parameters and Will post and send results with the sample.
Thanks again Todd.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463078249.050873.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home and here's the tank before I pull your sample. I'm going to test all parameters and Will post and send results with the sample.
Thanks again Todd.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463078249.050873.jpg
Any day I am here to help all :)

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I separate the sand from the bacteria.
I have a triton test kit coming in tomorrow. Should I wait a few weeks before use it? If it would help in anyway to use it in the middle of my peroxide dosing I can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back