Back from the dead!?

Jillbug154

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On January 28th I purchased a 30 gallon hexagon tank off facebook. It looked so extremely sad, seller said he's take $75 and I figured why not. I assumed all the trumpets were dead but one head was still alive, barely! I gave the tank a decent clean and did an 80% water change the night I brought it home. It came with a Hygger 14w light and a Hygger hang on filter. The light will be upgraded as soon as can be afforded. The hang on filter is not adequate for the tank so I added an old Fluval U4 that I had, in hopes I could stabilize the water and maintain decent water parameters (it worked). Since bringing the tank home on 1/28/23 the water parameters are nearly stable. Currant parameters are as follows:

Salinity: 35 ppt (It's about time for a top off)
Temp: 78
Alkalinity: 9.2 dKH
Magnesium: 1280
Calcium: 450
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm (Ammonia levels were quite high a few days prior, so this was to be expected)

I have been watching the one Trumpet Polyp that is still alive and I am seeing tissue growth, at least I think. It's been using mucus stringers to feed, see attached video. I've been target feeding it Phytofeast and adding MicroBacter7 to the tank, daily (I'm almost done with my 2 week cycle). The existing tissue is discolored and covered in algae, I think its algae. I am wondering if I should just leave it be since it seems to be showing decent new growth or if I should give the existing tissue a good clean and maybe a dip? The new growth is very white and that's concerning me, any insight on the color of new tissue would be appreciated.

The tank came with two black Mollys and a Blue Velvet Damselfish. Turns out, Damselfish and coral are not good tank mates. The Damsel keeps picking the coral off the rock and needs a new home. Hoping the local aquatic store will take all three fish and I'll reintroduce a fish or two once my coral colony is established. There was one other living coral in the tank when I brought it home, possibly a hammer? If someone could identify it that would be great! It detached from its plug on the way home, I re-glued it and placed it midway up the tank. Sometime during the first night that dang damselfish plucked it off and I haven't seen it since. Hoping it's tucked in a rock crevasse and makes an appearance in the future.

Also, if anyone has any experience with the Hygger 14w light, I would love to know what setting you use or what you'd recommend for this situation.

Thank you!

Tank pic from seller.jpg Trumpet before.JPG Trumpet 1 day after setup.jpg Trumpet Today, 2:8:2023.jpg Unidentified coral .JPG Tank after setup.jpg

Attachments

• trumpet one week post tank acquisition.MOV
    51 MB
  • Trumpet video today, 2:8:2023.MOV
    74 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jillbug154

Jillbug154

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, thats a vermetid snail. Looks like all the trumpets are dead after all :crying-face:

Yrlspence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid snails....if you see one you have more..bad pest. Cut shell up. My wrasse eats them when I do

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back