OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is seriously a great thread. I've seen those exact tanks at my local store, and I've been too nervous to purchase. The general consensus is that only the bottom pane of the tank is tempered, but I was still really nervous about shattering a tank.

You mentioned your overflow came with incorrect instructions. Could you elaborate?
Yes just the bottom is tempered glass, there is a sticker saying not to drill bottom. As formthe overflow instructions being wrong if you place the rubber seals as Eshopps instructs you will have a leak. Eshopps instructions go as flows starting from the inside of the tank: wier box, tank glass, o ring, external box, o ring, bulkhead nut. It needs to go as follows: overflow wier, o ring, tank glass, external box, o ring, bulkhead nut. So basically an o ring needs to be on the wet side and never a dry side of a bulkhead and/or overflow. And yes the Eshopps wier slots are cut too low, if you have a standard rimmed tank you need to have the internal box as high as it can go, which is contacting the rim. Not a big deal just so ething to know before you drill you holes. I did mine about 1/16" too low and can just see the water line below the trim. I can live with than and if it bugs me I can glue a piece of acrylic inside the wier to increase the water level in the display.

Last edited:

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearing the end of the build. All needed equipment to start the cycle is installed, I hate dealing with all the wires. Seems like there is never a good way to route and hide them. But is done, tank is level and in its final home. Fired up the RODI and flushing the new filters now before i start filling 5g jugs and 2 32g trash cans.
20180528_111258_resized.jpg
20180528_114122_resized.jpg
20180528_115920_resized.jpg
20180528_115932_resized.jpg

How did you put the light rack together?

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just the bottom is tempered glass, there is a sticker saying not to drill bottom. As formthe overflow instructions being wrong if you place the rubber seals as Eshopps instructs you will have a leak. Eshopps instructions go as flows starting from the inside of the tank: wier box, tank glass, o ring, external box, o ring, bulkhead nut. It needs to go as follows: overflow wier, o ring, tank glass, external box, o ring, bulkhead nut. So basically an o ring needs to be on the wet side and never a dry side of a bulkhead and/or overflow. And yes the Eshopps wier slots are cut too low, if you have a standard rimmed tank you need to have the internal box as high as it can go, which is contacting the rim. Not a big deal just so ething to know before you drill you holes. I did mine about 1/16" too low and can just see the water line below the trim. I can live with than and if it bugs me I can glue a piece of acrylic inside the wier to increase the water level in the display.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still a little gun shy about the tank purchase though. My local petsmart had a similar tank to what you pictured, even had the same pirate ship. That tank has a sticker on the bottom that says do not drill. unfortunately that tank is just too narrow for my liking, and I think even more narrow than the one you have. They did have another tank, about 180g I think, that has 'do not drill enclosure' sticker on the bottom. Since the two tanks have different stickers, I'm imagining they have a different number of tempered sides.

The overflow attachment was something I'd never really even thought about leak testing. I haven't made my mind up on a kit yet, but that bit of heads up definitely helps. Thanks man!

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Magfloat today to clean the tank glass,not really dirty yet. While I was cleaning off the glass I noticed very small pods for the first time! I have not seeded any micro life to the tank yet so I am happy that they came in on the LR. I have also seen smaller feather worms, 1 small bristle worm and tube worms. Enjoying the explosion of life, it so cool. Just add sea water and boom.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I ended up putring the glass lids on that came with the tank a few days ago just to give them a try. Couple of things resulted from this 1 change. First temp has gone up from 76-77° to 79-80°, not cool, pun intended. Thats is with no lighting on at all yet. On the plus side my ato water is lasting a lot longer due to less evaporation. Last thing is there is a lot of condensation on the glass lids which would effect light penatration.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I ended up putring the glass lids on that came with the tank a few days ago just to give them a try. Couple of things resulted from this 1 change. First temp has gone up from 76-77° to 79-80°, not cool, pun intended. Thats is with no lighting on at all yet. On the plus side my ato water is lasting a lot longer due to less evaporation. Last thing is there is a lot of condensation on the glass lids which would effect light penatration.
Aside from purchasing a chiller, what could you do to alleviate the heat? Does that mean you’d have to switch lids?

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting a fan over the sump hooked up to my controller. I just need to get one thats the right size to fit in my stand. I also will get some mesh screen lids I think. I have always gone open top on my reef tanks in the past.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeded the tank with some Reef Stew. A local culture of phyto, pods, live baby and adult brine. My truck broke down on the way home. Stopped at the gas station for some beers to enjoy later and my starter is acting up and my truck would not start. Had to walk a mile in 100° heat and my truck is still at the gas station. Happy father's day to me! Anyways. I have always added this stuff to new tanks once they cycle to help boost the micro fauna. Alao had the water tested. Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 0 ppm Po4 0.25 ppm Alk 8 dkh.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from vacation and the tank did good. Granted there is nothing in it that need any real care right now. However all equipment worked 100% and ato res lasted with room to spare. There may be a fish or 2 added soon.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the six line, they can be more trouble than they are worth on a lot of occasions that I have seen, hope it plays nicely for you.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 2 green chromis' today, tank needed some movement at the top. Also did a water test with the API Reef test kit.
Alk 8-9 dkh
Ca 390-400 ppm
No3 5-10 ppm closer to 10, finally seeing nitrates now that i have fish
Po4 .25 ppm
SG 35 ppt with refractometer
Ph 8.10 RKL
Temp 78.8 RKL
Going to do the first water change next weekend to knock down the po4 and no3. I also need to get my fuge going soon. Need to decide if i will add a DSB, rock rubble or just keep it BB in the fuge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. All livestock is doing well so far, everyone is eating. I think my 2 PP8 powerheads are too powerful lol. I had to turn then all the way down on mode C or W1 or there is too much flow for the chromis and sand starts to blow around. I may even remove 1 of them and get something smaller. 2 PP4 may have been a better choice, these pumps move a ton of water. Has me thinking 2 Vortech MP10 would have been great flow after all.
I am seeing more and more micro life from the live rock showing up. Pineapple sponges, micro tube worms and feather dusters alomh with micro pods on the glass. Still no bigger pods though. Better yet no signs of any pests or algae so far. Still not running the lights and I think its working to keep the new tank algae blooms to a minimum. By the looks of things inside the tank the system is developing nicely. Sorry I know there are no sps pics in my rhread and this is rhe sps forum, I promise that will change fairly soon. Slow and methodical....

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the flow being too much; I have to MP40s running at 100% on my 75g :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back