OP
OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System update: Things have gone great so far with the set-up - all parameters in check and we're ready to infuse the first round of corals on Friday - several mother colonies from our LRS (purple monti cap, Hollywood Stunner Chalice, blazing orange zoas, Aussie Torch) and some frags/small colonies from a fellow reefer's system (Stylo's, frogspawn, trumpet, monti caps, paly's). May add a few more fish pending what came in this week. Current inhabitants:
(2) Fancy Percula Clowns
(1) Melanurus Wrasse
(1) Yellow Tang
(6) Green Schooling Chromis
(1) Sally Lightfoot Crab
(2) Blue Knuckle Hermits
(12) Turbo Snails
(6) Nassarius Snails
(1) Fighting Conch Snail
(2) Scarlet Hermits
(10) Red Legged Hermits
(10) Blue Legged Hermits

Will be building the racks for the propagation tank tomorrow. Roots from the mangroves are growing nicely. Once we get some rubble and macro/micro algae in the refugium section we'll add a couple thousand pods to seed the system with. Pics to come!

OP
OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the system before I infuse it with corals (and maybe some new fish) tomorrow... Got the propagation racks done this morning and mounted two Koralia powerheads aimed at the top and middle racks where the SPS frags will go. Will install the new LED light over the prop tank tomorrow...

Reef-3.jpeg Reef-4.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just joined the forum. I have been keeping reefs for around 16 years, from 20 gallons to 180 gallon tanks, and at one point had over 600 gallons plumbed through my house. I had to get out of the hobby for a bit when my pro-fishing career took over and I was away so much I couldn't keep up with the systems, but I just started a new teaching job and the school was game for installing a new 150 gallon reef in my room, plumbed through the wall into my lab area where I added a 75 gallon sump, 15 gallon top-off, and 75 gallon refugium/prop tank.
Reef-2.jpg

Reef-1.jpg

The students at the school are pumped to have it there and will have the added excitement of seeing the reef established over the course of this year. I don't have a budget yet, so if anyone is relatively local to the Rochester, NY area and wants to help grow our reef quicker, I'd be willing to pick some frags up or have you out to the school to see the set-up. I have started a thread on Facebook showing the progression of the system so far if you'd like to follow along:

Later this year or next year I plan to start a Reef Club at the school for the students who express an interest in helping maintain the system and/or start their own systems and start propagating corals. So it's great to be a part of the forum and I look forward to conversing with all of you!

Tim.

Welcome, comrade

1 of 27 carnation corals, dendronephthya sp.

20191001_200626.jpg

OP
OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, took an hour and a half to pick out and bag up the corals, then over 5 hours to get them in, including mounting around 20 frags that had broken off during the move and that I received from a friend. Here is what we added (if I can remember them all):
Rose Bulb Tip Anemone
Purple Cap (plus over a dozen frags)
Green w/ Red Polyp Cap
Stunner Chalice (plus one frag)
Several Frogspawn
Meteor Shower (plus several frags)
Several Birdsnest Frags
Stylophora Colony
Tri-Color Acro Frag
Green Cap
Red Cap
Aussie Large Branch Torch
Purple/Bright Pink Eye Chalice
Green Chalice
Button Polyps
Green Ricordias
Green Stars
Several Candy Colonies
Green Polyp Toadstool Leather
Orange Ricordias
Trump Inaugural Chalice
2 Zoa Colonies

I'm super pumped at how it turned out! Now we'll slowly add additional corals and fish as funding allows. Have ordered a new light for the Propagation tank, Chaeto and pods for the refugium, and a wavemaker system for the main tank. Looks like we will need a chiller for next summer as the tank temp rose to 80 a few times over the past couple weeks when we had some 80 degree days. Now to observe the system and make adjustments to locations of the corals as needed, and monitor the water specs for supplementation.

150 Reef-10.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back