OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System Update:

So far so good! Most corals are showing some growth, with the exception of the Green Polyped Leather that has been closed and shriveled for about a week now. It went through a molt and has started to put some polyps out on occasion but still not nearly what it was before. I'm hoping it comes back to full splendor soon. The Blue Tort Acro frag we acquired is growing and has developed dark blue polyps and bright green/yellow tips - very cool! We also added a Hi-Fin Goby to the system at the request of my daughters who thought it was "so cool and cute" at the LRS! LOL! Plus a fluorescent green candy frag, pulsing xenia frag, and a cyphastria(?) frag.

Tomorrow we will be looking to add the following fish to the system that have been in quarantine at our LRS:
(8) Blue-Eye Anthias
(1) Sunkist Anthias
(1) Marine Beta
(1) Leopard Wrasse
(2) Firefish
(1) Green Manderine
(1) Blue Hippo Tang
Plus a large pink monti colony if it is still available. This will use the remaining funds for livestock for the year, so I have started a go-fund-me account to raise funds and acquire additional mother colonies for the students to research, experiment with, and propagate new colonies with. If you would like to support our program please visit:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/coral-pr...dium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Here are some pics of the current system!
20191121_110044.jpg
20191121_110108.jpg

20191121_100857.jpg 20191121_101014.jpg 20191121_101044.jpg 20191121_101105.jpg 20191121_101148.jpg 20191121_101158.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated picture with the new fish and corals added. Really looking great! Have the following coming tomorrow:
(2) Fighting Conch Snails
(1) Yellow Head Sleeper Goby
(1) Lg Pink w/ Yellow Tips Birdsnest Colony
(1) Lg Watermelon Green w/ Purple Tips LTA
(1) Lg Tiger Tail Cucumber

Going to try to propagate cleaner shrimp in the refugium - anyone have any luck doing this?? What should we feed to the babies??
11-25-19.jpeg

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to You and Your Whole Class... Thank You for your service in the class room and thank you for sharing this great hobby with a bunch of " Sponges " Your Kids... and for the record... I think you have a lot of Class....:cool:

OP
OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Update:

Received the two shipments from Live Aquaria yesterday but the tigertail cuke and high color BTA were DOA - not sure what happened as the heat pad was still warm, but the BTA was a pile of brown and white goo and while the cuke looked ok, it never moved in 4 hours after arrival. Everything else was ok from the other facility and seem to be doing great so far.
Resized_20191126_152414.jpeg
Resized_20191127_121013.jpeg Resized_20191127_121040.jpeg

OP
OP
tthomas

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Reef Update**

The good, the bad, and the ongoing...

Bad news first: we couldn't get the anthias to eat and all but the one who would eat have perished. We also lost our hi-fin goby, 2 chromis, and the midas blenny for some unknown reason.

The good news, is that everything else seems to be thriving, and we are starting to see decent growth in the corals. Our alkalinity has dropped from around 9 to 6 so we are starting to dose with B-ionic solutions to stabilize the system and get the alkalinity back up. starting on Friday last week, we added 65 ml of each part, then did so again the last two days. The alkalinity is on the rise and as I saw in previous systems, if you let the alkalinity drop and then raise it back up, rose bulb anemones will often split. Well, our RBA followed suite and split last night! The copepods are reproducing now and the mangroves have sprouted leaves as they continue to grow.

Ongoing, we continue to monitor the system and fine tune things. We have acquired two pairs of cleaner shrimp (one in the main tank for the fish, the other in the refugium for possible reproduction). We are going to see if we can get them to reproduce in the refugium - anyone know what the baby shrimp feed on?? Our phosphates keep creeping up and we have started to use PhosRX every couple weeks to help keep them down. All other levels are good.

We are also going through a ton of phytoplankton, so we are looking to set-up our own phytoplankton production system. Right now we are going through roughly 12 fluid ounces per week. Anyone have any experience with this and know what fertilizer works best?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you let the alkalinity drop and then raise it back up, rose bulb anemones will often split. Well, our RBA followed suite and split last night!

I wondered about that as well. My very first coral, a mushroom, had never split. Bad bottle of reagents saw my alk trend down. On the rise, the mushy finally split. Cool!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back