Back in the Game at My New School

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just joined the forum. I have been keeping reefs for around 16 years, from 20 gallons to 180 gallon tanks, and at one point had over 600 gallons plumbed through my house. I had to get out of the hobby for a bit when my pro-fishing career took over and I was away so much I couldn't keep up with the systems, but I just started a new teaching job and the school was game for installing a new 150 gallon reef in my room, plumbed through the wall into my lab area where I added a 75 gallon sump, 15 gallon top-off, and 75 gallon refugium/prop tank.
Reef-2.jpg

Reef-1.jpg

The students at the school are pumped to have it there and will have the added excitement of seeing the reef established over the course of this year. I don't have a budget yet, so if anyone is relatively local to the Rochester, NY area and wants to help grow our reef quicker, I'd be willing to pick some frags up or have you out to the school to see the set-up. I have started a thread on Facebook showing the progression of the system so far if you'd like to follow along:

Later this year or next year I plan to start a Reef Club at the school for the students who express an interest in helping maintain the system and/or start their own systems and start propagating corals. So it's great to be a part of the forum and I look forward to conversing with all of you!

Tim.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I love how you are reaching out to young reef keepers and future reef keepers - keep up the great work! We're glad you're here!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back