Back in the game

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was in the hobby for 20+ yrs on and off but took a break a few years back and the call to come back to the hobby was pretty strong recently so I decided to jump back in. I have never been really active here in the past other than lurking but hope to change that this go around. I was very surprised at just how rusty I feel after being out for a few years....so excuse my potential newb questions as I go along. Things are starting to come back to me but boy technology has changed all in a few short years.
Here is what I am starting with.
60 cube rimless
Skimz sn143 mini
Trigger sump
Rw-8 wavemaker
Tunze 1073.05 DC return pump
GFO reactor
Kessil a360we
Avast ATO
I am sure there is something else but that is all my major equipment.
Started out this time with dry everything....first time I have ever done that.
Not sure of the stocking plans other than two frostbite clowns (already purchased) just waiting on the cycle to finish...we are almost there
I think I will likely stock with mostly softies and lps.

Anyway just wanted to stop in for a short re introduction and to say I am looking forward to being a more active member here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 109

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!!
...nice setup, and I agree with @saltyphish things have changed a lot!!

BTW, I love long haired belgian shepherds.... nice avatar!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ;)

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a long break myself and the changes are amazing imo. Things have definitely improved for the better.

I am noticing that....makes things a little more challenging to catch up on but I think it will be worth the ride :)

Welcome to reef2reef!!!
...nice setup, and I agree with @saltyphish things have changed a lot!!

BTW, I love long haired belgian shepherds.... nice avatar!
Thank you! He is actually a long haired GS. I too love the Belgian sheps though. He was just a pup in that picture. Love that boy!!! :)

Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby. I felt same way coming back.
Like riding a bicycle right?? Lol

Welcome to R2R ;)
Thank you!

Welcome back, tank looks great.

Love the Kessil.

Thanks, I had a hard time deciding on a light but I knew this time I was going smaller than I have had in the past so since I was going smaller I wanted everything to look clean with no canopy. So far I really love the light. I was worried it may not work with the 60 but from what I can tell it has great coverage and right now I only have it at the highest at 50% intensity throughout the course of the day. I have no idea what will be best for the corals I want to keep but will play it by ear and adjust as I need to. Right now I have two cinnamon palys in the tank that came from an original colony of mine that a friend got from me when I broke my 180 down a few years back. Just thought I would toss them in there to test things out and they are opening up very nicely. I am on the back end of my cycle (my ammonia has dropped to almost 0 today and I have just a hint of nitrites). And the brown diatom algae has taken hold. So looks like it won't be too much longer then I will toss in a CUC.
Just a note on kessil customer service. I had an issue with my light flickering when ramping down just before cutting off for the evening but only when using the controller. They responded very fast and sent out a new controller right away. Got it yesterday and will be sending back my original one this week. I was pretty impressed with their fast response.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, tank looks great

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It coming around. Ammonia is 0 now and The nitrites are coming in at .25 and nitrates are going up. And those dreaded diatoms....I also have a slight haze to the water. So we are hopefully nearing the end.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back