Back in the game

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by sandalscout, Jan 24, 2018.

1. sandalscout

sandalscout Member MTRCMember

Hi everyone!

I have no idea who might remember me, and I'm HORRIBLE with names, but I do see some names on here that I recognize. I lived in Clarksville and was a member of the NTRC for a few years, until about 5 years ago. I had a number of tanks at the time, including a beautiful 90 gallon mixed reef. I was actually setting up a 180 when I finally convinced my ex-wife to move to Nashville after commuting for 15 years. Unfortunately, that meant renting a much smaller place and selling all of my tanks.

I got pretty heavy into motorcycles a few years before moving, and decided to focus on that instead. After we moved in late 2014, my ex moved in with some other dude in early 2015. I continued to ride more and more, and unfortunately, I crashed my best friends bike in June 2015, just a few weeks after the divorce was finalized. I broke my back and damaged my spin, resulting in being paralyzed from the chest down.

After a few years of focusing on recovery, etc, I am happy to say that I I've been in a new house for almost a year, and recently decided to get back into reefkeeping. I started recently, and have been focusing on setting up a Fluval Evo 13.5 in my home office. I mentioned this to my best friend recently, and his wife, a chemistry teacher at APSU mentioned that while she really liked the Solana 34 I gave them 3.5 years ago, she wasn't using it for any class work anymore, and asked if I would take it off of her hands.

I've got the Evo cycling now (nearly done!) and parts on order to build a low stand for the 34 that will allow me to work on that tank. Haven't even added any livestock to the first tank, and a second is heading this way soon!

I'll post some pictures and specs of what I've got when I get home tonight, but have been meaning to post this for a while and see who is around still that I know. NeveSSL was one of the last people I spoke to in the hobby (I think I gave him some equipment when I was getting out) but I see that he's taken his big tank down. It was a pretty cool setup.

- Matt

WWIII and jasonamyers like this.
    Tags:

2. jasonamyers

jasonamyers Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome back! I'm new around here as well (about a year).

sandalscout likes this.
  3. JOKER

JOKER Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Welcome back.

sandalscout likes this.
  4. pickupman66

pickupman66 Valuable Member MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Welcome back to the Hobby. hate to hear of your run as of late but best of luck on the new system. I liked the solanas and other AIO in that size and always wanted to do one the right way. the skimmer tech has really advanced for those with nice compact designs that slide right into the filter boxes.

sandalscout likes this.
  5. sandalscout

Thanks Lindsey! I know that we've met, and I'm pretty sure I bought some equipment from you when I set my 90 up.

I'm excited about the Solana. It's a little deep for me, but I'm putting it on a 20" stand, so overall height is below my armpit to be able to reach into it pretty far. This one was pretty well set up, except the skimmer is the original design still, so I may upgrade that. I've seen some good reviews of new small skimmers that will fit it.

I'm pretty blown away by how far LED lighting has come. I have an AI Prime HD+ on the 13.5 already, and another HD+ should be arriving tomorrow for the Solana. It's a really cool setup that I've enjoyed figuring out all the settings on.

6. pickupman66

pickupman66 Valuable Member MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Awesome buddy! I just swapped over to a pair of AI hydra26 hds over my 66 gallon system and am much happier than with the radion I had. Just need to get that one sold.

7. SoonerBerrios

SoonerBerrios Member Build Thread Contributor

Welcome back! I've been away from the forum for over a year, tank up, but not a priority. Looking to start adding more coral to my tank. Look forward to your updates!

8. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Welcome back! Crazy how this hobby always comes calling us again and again. Hope for the best with your new setup and life in general in the days/years ahead! That's cool to get your old tank back

9. sandalscout

Thanks guys... I can't say that it hasn't been a crazy few years (I mean, it'd be crazy enough WITHOUT the motorcycle crash... both my dog's died of old age on top of all of that), but I am doing pretty well all things considered. I have amazing friends and family that really helped me out, and a job that I could go back to. Now that I'm in the house, it's gotten a TON better too. Plus, I met this amazing girl right before my crash, and while we stopped seeing each other for about a year, we've been together the last year and half and she's moved in with me now. I'm pretty lucky, considering all the crap I've dealt with.

I've attached a picture of my tank as of now. It's nothing crazy, but I am very excited about it.

Fluval Evo 13.5
    inTank media chambers in both 1 & 2
    Sicce 1.0 return pump
    Spin Stream on the return line
    AI Prime HD+ light
    Jebao SW-2 pump
    Liferock
    AutoTopOff.com nano ATO
    MarinePure spheres

Of course, we all know that I've spent just as much on stuff outside of the tank (jugs, test kits, hanna checkers, etc, etc, etc.... I've gone pretty top end, in my opinion), so this just represents a portion of the total so far. Fortunately, most everything outside of the tank can be used on the Solana as well. I'm also seriously considering setting up another tank, something like a 36Wx24Dx16T, in the next year or so once the other two are stable.

IMG_20180124_202310278.jpg

10. commonstranger

commonstranger Active Member MTRCMember

I have been around a while now (about 12 yrs) and I do remember your nickname. I am proud to see you are back and have a great attitude. If I can help let me know and the setup so far is looking great !

sandalscout likes this.
  11. sandalscout

Hey, I am pretty sure that we've met at one of the meetings, I used to come down every once in a while.

I feel like the last meeting I attended might have been at Wayne's house (outside of murfreesboro maybe? he was building a huge tank that faced like 4-5 rooms). That was quite a while ago.

12. MikeyTN

MikeyTN Active Member MTRCMember

Is Wayne still around??? I rememer that tank was like L shaped.

Draft saved Draft deleted