Back in the hobby after 18 years

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

As my title says, I've come back to the hobby after a break of 18 years. I had been raising fish since I was 10 years old, all the way through college and after. Was active in the online community, prior to R2R.

As most may suspect, I got out of the hobby due to a traumatic tank crash. I had a 350 gallon mixed system (170 display, 90 gallon frag tank, 60 gallon sump, 30 gallon refugium) dominated by sps and clams. The cause of my crash was a kalk spike that was a result of a malfunctioned spectrapure liter meter that, instead of pumping a few seconds every hour, continuously pumped 55 gallons of kalk-rich water into my system. I suspect it was because they had shut the power off to my block w/o my knowledge and when they kicked the power back on, it fried my spectrapure. I came home from work to my system with a 100% casualty and 55 gallons of water on my floor.

I'm back in the hobby because now that I have kids, I wanted them to grow into the hobby along with me. So much have changed in the last 18 years, while some things remained consistent. What drew me in, continues to draw me in. The beauty and wonder of recreating a micro-ecosystem and the life-long learnings of getting our tanks to thrive.

My current system is a Red Sea Max 250 and it's a mixed tank again, with softies, sps, and lps. I've also fell in love with wrasses, specifically leopard wrasses. Right now, I have 3 regular leopards, 2 potters, 2 black leopards, and 1 female blue star.

A few pictures of my old system. Excuse the corraline...I had an acrylic aquarium. :)

170 gallon tenecor teneview aquarium
60 gallon sump
3x400W Metal Halide
72" VHOs
Iwaki MD40 Pump
2 x 1" Sea-Swirls
Dual 48"x6" Calcium Reactor
Kalk Reactor

170overview.JPG

170side4.JPG

left_170.JPG

Don't have any pictures yet of my new system but will share them when I get a chance.

Excited to be back in the hobby and learning and building community with everyone here.

Victor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That tank shows 18 years of knowledge and we welcome you back into an even mire innovative and exciting hobby!!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
Hi Everyone

As my title says, I've come back to the hobby after a break of 18 years. I had been raising fish since I was 10 years old, all the way through college and after. Was active in the online community, prior to R2R.

As most may suspect, I got out of the hobby due to a traumatic tank crash. I had a 350 gallon mixed system (170 display, 90 gallon frag tank, 60 gallon sump, 30 gallon refugium) dominated by sps and clams. The cause of my crash was a kalk spike that was a result of a malfunctioned spectrapure liter meter that, instead of pumping a few seconds every hour, continuously pumped 55 gallons of kalk-rich water into my system. I suspect it was because they had shut the power off to my block w/o my knowledge and when they kicked the power back on, it fried my spectrapure. I came home from work to my system with a 100% casualty and 55 gallons of water on my floor.

I'm back in the hobby because now that I have kids, I wanted them to grow into the hobby along with me. So much have changed in the last 18 years, while some things remained consistent. What drew me in, continues to draw me in. The beauty and wonder of recreating a micro-ecosystem and the life-long learnings of getting our tanks to thrive.

My current system is a Red Sea Max 250 and it's a mixed tank again, with softies, sps, and lps. I've also fell in love with wrasses, specifically leopard wrasses. Right now, I have 3 regular leopards, 2 potters, 2 black leopards, and 1 female blue star.

A few pictures of my old system. Excuse the corraline...I had an acrylic aquarium. :)

60 gallon sump
3x400W Metal Halide
72" VHOs
Iwaki MD40 Pump
2 x 1" Sea-Swirls
Kalk Reactor

170overview.JPG

170side4.JPG

left_170.JPG

Don't have any pictures yet of my new system but will share them when I get a chance.

Excited to be back in the hobby and learning and building community with everyone here.

Victor
WOW!!!! Never to late. Welcome, comrade

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

60 gallon sump
3x400W Metal Halide
72" VHOs
Iwaki MD40 Pump
2 x 1" Sea-Swirls
Kalk Reactor

170overview.JPG

170side4.JPG

left_170.JPG

Victor
You are making me think about my liter meter 3! Anyway, welcome back!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back