Back in the Hobby

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Back in the hobby after about 12 years of being out of it. Had a tank when I was up in college and finally decided to get back into it, but sometimes I wonder why I did.

Currently living in Brentwood but have a 260 gal tank and its driving me crazy right now. Fighting algae and trying to figure out why I cant keep any coral alive at all. Just went through a spell with my Blonde naso not eating for 2 weeks and is slowly recovering.

Some days I wonder why I got back into it. Looking forward to meeting new people and getting any advice possible.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back, glad you are here! Sounds like you are going through what every tank goes through in the first year. Take it slow, set backs will continue until your tank is mature and stable but plow through and that beautiful tank that you are picturing in your head will be there in the end. If you started with dry rock it may take longer but you will still get there. Post a picture of your tank to help us better understand the problem.

OP
OP
Bozburn

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is something I am working on!

See attached pics, all of my SPS I had have died and my torch isnt doing great. Zoas are doing fine and ricordia is awesome but thats about it. Dealing with this algae right now.

Attachments

• Full tank.jpg
    Full tank.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Zoas.jpg
    Zoas.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 40

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is something I am working on!

See attached pics, all of my SPS I had have died and my torch isnt doing great. Zoas are doing fine and ricordia is awesome but thats about it. Dealing with this algae right now.
The brown frown.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put water in it about a year ago, added a handful of fish and an ich outbreak happened and wiped them out. Left it dormant for 90 days and started adding them back in December/January, but have been very slow with adding them.
I’m assuming the brown on the sand are dino’s? What is your nitrate and phosphate levels?

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture what that is (nor am I an expert) but it could be dino's maybe diatoms?
Does it receed somewhat when the lights go off?

OP
OP
Bozburn

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture what that is (nor am I an expert) but it could be dino's maybe diatoms?
Does it receed somewhat when the lights go off?
Just now realizing I didnt reply, yes it does and comes back during the day with the lights on and has bubbles in it.

I added actual live rock to the sump this week and am breaking it up each morning and doing coral snow while keeping the lights off for a few days.

On a plus note, in the past week I went from 2 BTA's to 4! Proud parent, now I gotta figure out wo I can give these away to.

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
Looks like diatoms just point a powerhead at it and change the floss/sock/whatever often

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back