Back in the saddle again!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, and I thought my 25 year hiatus was long. It's culture shock to say the least. Good luck with your build.
ZomboMeme 13052021182809.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, after nearly a 30 year time span I'm back starting a small 75 gallon reef. So much has changed!!! Thanks to the Internet mainly, BRS, reef2reef, and YouTube for inspiration!

So I started gathering things in November, and I'm still gathering lol.
I have an older 3 chamber sump, Sicce return pump, current orbit ice loop light, skimmer, and a few other things to get started.

I plan on a slow start lol. I mainly need help with aqua scaping as we had Fiji and Tonga LIVE rock back when and stacking was the way. I'm shooting for a NSA around 12" tall.

So I picked up a bunch of cyanoacrylate, and yes fingers are white and glued cause I can't wait to find latex gloves lol.
Even though I'm a contractor and have wet saws I started using my right and grinder with a diamond wheel to flatten pieces to be glued together. After Instant Ocean Hold Fast not holding to well I started gluing and rock dusting together. Clamped over time...

TIA for any feedback ☺️
20220323_231054.jpg
20220323_231126.jpg
16480923677204841304640587102428.jpg

Welcome and welcome back to hobby! Glad you joined. 30 years ago LIVE rock meant something so very very different than now when people say LIVE rock - I've not seen a 'Christmas tree worm' in all the time since I've returned to hobby...

For joining rocks, I've been very happy with e-marco-400 aquascape bonding mortar mix. If I'm doing something fancy like a cantilevered overhang, we drill both rock parts and pin with acrylic rods using same mortar mix.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you (if Toms River in NJ):

This might help you find people local to you (if Toms River outside USA):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back