Back to folr.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiment with LPS and SPS is over. I’m back to doing what I love, which is raising juvenile angelfish to adulthood. In my 125 presently I have an emperor angel, queen angel, flame angel, copperband butterfly, a racoon butterfly a pair of juvenile Ocellaris clownfish, Kupang damsel, royal gramma, and I’m in the market for a small adult-colored majestic angelfish. I’m working with Reef Beauties on that. All fish acquired from reef beauties except for the queen angelfish which was acquired locally. I also have a beautiful four-inch powder blue tang that is in a 29 gallon quarantine tank for the last 3
IMG_0191.jpeg
IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0187.jpeg
IMG_0185.jpeg
months. He’ll be going into my 320 when I get it going in the next few months. Some pics.

OP
OP
bruno3047

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t so much that the fish were eating the coral, though they were antagonizing them. I’m 67 years old. The maintenance requirements for keeping LPS and SPS was just too much for me. It just wasn’t worth it. The pleasure I get from keeping coral doesn’t compare to my satisfaction from raising juvenile angelfish. That was the ultimate equation.

OP
OP
bruno3047

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost forgot. I also have a 1 inch yellow clown goby that is doing really well. When I got him, he was so skinny, I thought he was done. But when I put in the newly-hatched brine shrimp, he went nuts on them. Now he’s a fat little guy.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get it.

I have a 240 gal FOWLR with 8 large marine angels (17 fish total), and there are many days when I prefer it to my mixed reef (majority LPS). My FOWLR is over 15 years old, and runs off of a canister filter and a HOB skimmer. It's as low tech as low tech gets, and it's easy to maintain. A monthly 20 gal water change, weekly emptying of the skimmer and freshwater top off, and daily feedings is about all I have to do.

Glad you're back to enjoying the simpler side of the hobby.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny how we have ppl who love reefs and ppl who love planted tanks but i'm all about the fish. to me thats the rewarding part. Although i do like all the corals ppl call pest, GSP, mushrooms, xenia, kenya tree ect

OP
OP
bruno3047

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny how we have ppl who love reefs and ppl who love planted tanks but i'm all about the fish. to me thats the rewarding part. Although i do like all the corals ppl call pest, GSP, mushrooms, xenia, kenya tree ect
I have a Kenya tree in my tank. Also, a few toadstool leathers and various other softies. Leather types. So far no one’s ravaged them. I read that they taste pretty disagreeable, so maybe that’s why. In any case, if they get eaten, it’s no big deal. I paid 20 bucks a piece for them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back