Back up pump

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a danner mag drive 18b thats been in storage as a backup. I got the pump out of storage and the screws are showing signs of rust/corrosion. I removed the screws and manifold mount and there was signs of rust around the screw holes and gasket that wouldn’t rub off. Would soaking it in acid cure it? Or should i get another pump To be on the safe side? My plan was to either run it on the mix bin or sump return

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a danner mag drive 18b thats been in storage as a backup. I got the pump out of storage and the screws are showing signs of rust/corrosion. I removed the screws and manifold mount and there was signs of rust around the screw holes and gasket that wouldn’t rub off. Would soaking it in acid cure it? Or should i get another pump To be on the safe side? My plan was to either run it on the mix bin or sump return

personally I would not want it on sump return... and if danner mag drive 18b is what is already on sump return I would check in-use sump return pump for rust.

I might be tempted to use it for couple hours salt mixing exercises, but that is because I'm cheap. I'm sure most will say toss that pump and switch to something that doesn't rust. I mostly use SICCE pumps.

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would definitely toss it. Nothing really cures a rust problem without a lot of work. Too many random issues can crop up with tank health and it's a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Not a "cheap" replacement cost unfortunately but if cost was a concern you could get a Jebao for around or under the same price and have DC control along with being a lot quieter.
If you wanted to keep it for salt mixing or something with short duration use you could silicone around everything to seal it in. Definitely wouldn't trust that for more than a few hours at a time though and you'd likely have to redo it every once in a while.

Or you could mortgage the house and get an Abyzz. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back