Back with a 150

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for a few years now as I have been bouncing around the country, but have finally purchased my first house and it's time to set up a tank.

Found an SCA 150 setup for sale locally and jumped on it. Started ordering stuff before I even had the tank because I couldn't pass up Black Friday sales

Here's the current equipment list:

60x24x24 SCA 150 tank and custom stand ( 59.5x23.5 internal dims)
Trigger CR44 sump
Reefmat 1200 (new to me, these didn't exist last I had a tank)
Neptune COR20 return pump
AquaUV 25W UV sterilizer
Aquamaxx DRC-3 skimmer
Hercules titanium 1000w heater
(2x) MP40qd
(3x) Reefi Uno 2.0 pro led fixtures
48" aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture

160 lbs of Fiji pink sand
150 lbs Marco Rock

Tank moved in yesterday, working on the plumbing design now since it was all soft plumbed by previous owner. Not my strong suit so welcome all input. Next purchases will be controller and setting up a cabinet for all of the electronics.

20221204_131804.jpg

3 hole overflow, thinking Dorso with an emergency drain. Return T off to lock line on both sides of the overflow.
- not sure the best way to plumb in the UV as I have never had one before. Primary goal would probably be algea control assistance.

Excuse my horrendous drawing skills
20221205_085041.jpg

OP
OP
XavierZ06

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tentative rock layout done... Probably going to remove the top left one. Table is 48x20 and peak rock is 16" high. Still have about 60lbs of rock left to work with but looks like I over-ordered. Whoops.

This leaves me about 6" to each side glass and min 4" off the front and back.
20221205_132546.jpg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very nice! Looks like it's gonna be a pretty sweet setup :)

OP
OP
XavierZ06

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for a few weeks now, all equipment is in and set up minus the CO2 scrubber recirc. Ran Brightwell Dry rock kit to cycle the tank and am going to dive into the deep end.

Bio life has been introduced by way of PNS Substrate Sauce, Microbacter Start XLM, Microbacter 7, and PNS Probio.

Ammonia spiked day 2 of Brightwell kit and dropped down to sub .15 (using salifert test) where it has remained for the last 12 days+ I dosed FritzZyme Fishless Fuel and the Ammonia jumped to about 2, settling down under .15 in less than 24 hours.

Nitrite has remained above 1 (max on Red Sea kit) and nitrate is unreliable due to nitrite presence. Either way I'm moving forward under the assumption the tank has cycled.
Executed a 30% water change 3 days ago and levels remain consistent.

Picking up a bunch of coral from a local reefer tomorrow, so we will see how this goes!

I've messaged with @brandon429 on the progress so far so that he can add this to the list of unconventional quick cycle tanks. Hopefully proving that there is no need to wait 3-6 months anymore.

Either way, auto water change is set up, KH Director and 2 part dosing installed, and I'm ready to tackle the ugly stages. We'll see if all these bottled bio products actually do anything to help fight it off.

20221215_082613.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for a few weeks now, all equipment is in and set up minus the CO2 scrubber recirc. Ran Brightwell Dry rock kit to cycle the tank and am going to dive into the deep end.

Bio life has been introduced by way of PNS Substrate Sauce, Microbacter Start XLM, Microbacter 7, and PNS Probio.

Ammonia spiked day 2 of Brightwell kit and dropped down to sub .15 (using salifert test) where it has remained for the last 12 days+ I dosed FritzZyme Fishless Fuel and the Ammonia jumped to about 2, settling down under .15 in less than 24 hours.

Nitrite has remained above 1 (max on Red Sea kit) and nitrate is unreliable due to nitrite presence. Either way I'm moving forward under the assumption the tank has cycled.
Executed a 30% water change 3 days ago and levels remain consistent.

Picking up a bunch of coral from a local reefer tomorrow, so we will see how this goes!

I've messaged with @brandon429 on the progress so far so that he can add this to the list of unconventional quick cycle tanks. Hopefully proving that there is no need to wait 3-6 months anymore.

Either way, auto water change is set up, KH Director and 2 part dosing installed, and I'm ready to tackle the ugly stages. We'll see if all these bottled bio products actually do anything to help fight it off.

20221215_082613.jpg
Off to a good start!! love the scape design you have!

Back