BackbayReef’s 450gal

Added some SPS from the frag tank over today. The tank is still pretty darn empty!

Also, ordered Tropic Marin A- & K+ traces since I ran out months ago. Need to restart dosing when ICP comes back.
 
This has been the coolest automation for lazy guys like me: NO3 under 10ppm and PO4 under 0.10ppm without doing anything for months!!!

IMG_2203.jpeg
 
Good to hear from you - you good?

Fish doing great - zero isssues, no ich, no flukes, nada! It’s actually peaceful with those angels & tangs. In fact, the French Angel is the size of a medium dinner plate now! My other fish from other tanks are getting too big but I’m resisting to move them here, disturbing the balance.

I’ve been focusing on the something else lately; therefore the tanks are on autopilot.

Doing good, was busy with the house for past year, construction, burning money, all the things.... Had hip replacement surgery 3 weeks ago. Sooooo.... I'm bored AF through sept when I'm hopefully cleared to go back to work.
 
Nice photo. Is that the tang trio you got from me? If so, the purple looks great!
Yes - same crew, super happy! Looks like the HLLE almost recovered…
 
Doing good, was busy with the house for past year, construction, burning money, all the things.... Had hip replacement surgery 3 weeks ago. Sooooo.... I'm bored AF through sept when I'm hopefully cleared to go back to work.
Man - with summer vacation, home improvement, and some AI work -- I have zero time for reefing! Hope your surgery went well, sucks to get old right? lol things started to hurt for me as well. We're definitely not getting younger man...

Enjoy your long "vacation" -- 60gal is still going strong?
 
Not too shabby - Alk is stabilizing around 8.2dKH (I’m off by 0.5ppm from Hanna), CO2 at 6.6pH while pulling 18mL/min through the CaRx reactor.



IMG_2267.png

IMG_2268.png
 
Added TM A-/K+ to the doser, doing maintenance dosage of 20mL/day while waiting for ICP test to come back.

IMG_2271.jpeg
That looks great!

I also use A & K but add 80ml of A to a gallon of sodium hydroxide and 80ml of K to the calcium chloride. I'm currently dosing 195ml of each of the solutions per day plus another 195ml of TM part C.
 
That looks great!

I also use A & K but add 80ml of A to a gallon of sodium hydroxide and 80ml of K to the calcium chloride. I'm currently dosing 195ml of each of the solutions per day plus another 195ml of TM part C.
Cool - I got rid of 2-parts, although I still have the containers, for fine-grained tuning, if required. The big CaRx is doing all the heavy lifting for now.
 
So …. after 5hrs of work and with my son’s help, we’ve finally combined the 450gal and 90gal frag tank!!! We got rid of a lot of equipment: sump, skimmer, heaters, Hydros + probes, ATO, dosing —- just got 2 MP40s and 2 Radions. Super tired but satisfied to finally got this done. We will do cable management and clean all the old gear with citric acid tomorrow.

Before pics…
IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg
 
Last edited:
After — all cleaned and removed all the junk!

The return is a Red Dragon Eco 130W, pumping 20ft across the room - plenty of power left.

IMG_2275.jpeg
 
Citric acid bath - man, this stuff works really well! Going to clean the equipment after work but looking good so far.

Question is: what I’m gonna do with all the equipment? :)



IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg
 
That is awesome and I'm sure you're going to love both the savings and maintenance aspect of having it all together. Also, moving something from one tank to the other is exactly the same parameters outside of lighting and maybe flow. There's some risk, but the benefits outweigh the risk in my opinion.

Nice job man!
 
That is awesome and I'm sure you're going to love both the savings and maintenance aspect of having it all together. Also, moving something from one tank to the other is exactly the same parameters outside of lighting and maybe flow. There's some risk, but the benefits outweigh the risk in my opinion.

Nice job man!
I got really sick and tired of dosing, testing, emptying skimmer cup, ato, etc -- so yes, cut down a lot of maintenance overhead while saving a little power at the same time. However, if something goes wrong chemically or there's an ich outbreak, both tanks will have it! That's the part I dread the most - fish disease. Otherwise, I'm totally digging the simplicity of maintaining just one big system!

While I'm on a roll, I might get rid of my 65gal mushroom/nem tank as well? Then I'll be down to just 2 tanks! ;)
 
Yes, those are the risks.

I’ve run up to 4 tanks at one time and made the decision this time around to only run one although I have another tank. If I run another tank it would be what you’re doing. A frag tank plumbed together.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new