Backout and Long Tentacle Anemone

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has been up for a year now and thinking of doing a 3 day blackout due to GHA. Struggling to get rid of it. I've lowed feeding levels, doing water changes, manual removal, etc... I am thinking of doing a 3 days blackout.

The tank has been a FOWLR for the past year up until 2 weeks ago when I got a green-tip LTA. The clowns have accepted him and is doing GREAT!!! How does a 3-day blackout affect an nem's zooxanthellae? Also, do I need to worry about my fish not being able to see the nem? Worried about one swimming blind into its tentacles. I have 3 gobies and a hawk fish among other fish that I am worried about.

I'm thinking of doing the 3-day blackout as my goal was to starting adding corals after 1 year of tank maturity. But I don't want to add corals until I have the GHA gone.

Thanks

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blackout will help beat the algae back, but without fixing the issue causing the algae you're really just keeping your fish in the dark for 3 days for no reason. IMO you have a herbivore problem, not an algae problem.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow-eyed kole tang, numerous hermit crabs and turbo snails. Kole tang doesn't seem interested in the GHA. What would you suggest?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you fix the underlying issue the dead algea will feed a new outbreak. I would increase cuc.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hemrit crabs wipeout my hair algae. how many do you have? The larger ones are more voracious (but also more violent)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back