Backup generator

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paranoid for winter coming and ice storms wreaking havoc

Have asked before-what would you recomend for back up generator for 180g aquarium

Darstar301

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Firman 3200 watt from. Costco went it went on sale. Runs on Propane and gas,

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't afford a whole house generator, I would (without question) steer you towards the Honda Inverter generators.

They are expensive - but worth every penny. They start easily with one or two pulls. They have fuel pumps so can draw from external fuel cells. Two can be daisy chained for higher output. They are (hands down) the best portable generators on the planet. The output is stable and accurate. SUPER QUIET.

You can let them sit forever and not worry about them starting. Moth other brands (even name brands) will be problems in the long run.

I would also not overbuy. There is nothing worse than lugging around an 10kW genset when you really only need 2kW or 3kW. Even then, I would buy two small Hondas instead of 1 large unit if I needed more output.

I have a whole house standby (Kohler 20kW) but also have a Honda EU2200i. Prior to the standby, the Honda would run the tank, refrigerator and full standup freezer, a few computers and lights and never break a sweat. Small and light enough that she could carry it and start it.

Prior to that we had numerous other generators. A 5kW Harbor Freight and a 9kW harbor freight and a few other "commercial" units. All of them were beasts, could be a bear to start (even the electric start 9kW and 7kW DeWalt) and she could barely move them. They were hard to maintain and had CRAP voltage regulation and super loud.

I would resist the urge to buy a knock of of the EU2200i - you will save $400 dollars but in the end regret wasting $800.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest buying a generator for not only the tank, but also to power some home ‘essentials’

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will you be heating your home during a prolonged outage?
I ask because if you're not using a wood stove or something then you're gonna need something big enough to run your furnace, and tank.
A gas furnace uses very little electricity (it has a small fan). You are not going to run an electric furnace on a portable genset. Maybe a baseboard heater or two....

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re wiring in home appliances/ circuits , best to have a professional electrician install a transfer switch to prevent electrical feedback over the power lines

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup uses solar then if that fails switches to propane generator generac , then final fallback is a big old cat diesel generator.

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not worried about a house getting cold-it will survive-just worried about the tank

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured i should have something for tank if we ever have a power outage that goes long

How long can i cank go with nothing working?

Waterdeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are great deals on amazon today, I just bought a westinghouse 6000/7500 for $350.00 an hour ago

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I installed a transfer switch and use a 6500 Wen Invertor generator. At the time of purchase it was the cheapest invertor gens. I bought a nicer Generac transfer switch and had my electrician wire it in. My house is small so it runs basically everything necessary, bedrooms, kitchen, bath, part of my basement, furnace. The fish tank is in one of my spare bedrooms that I use as an office. Its a 125 reef I am already a little wattage conscious so it doesn't use that much electricity to begin with but when I lose power I do unplug some stuff so the generator isnt working as hard. All said and done it was under $2000 for the generator, transfer switch and supplies and the installation. I live in Michigan and had a major ice storm last year and it saved me and the tank for the multiple days the power was out.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend a tent for it. when you need a gen it's usually bad weather and want to keep electronics dry. https://www.gentent.com/ as for a transfer switch, they make one that attaches to the electric meter which is easier than wiring the thing to the electric box with a lock out switch etc... https://www.generlink.com/

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't afford a whole house generator, I would (without question) steer you towards the Honda Inverter generators.

They are expensive - but worth every penny. They start easily with one or two pulls. They have fuel pumps so can draw from external fuel cells. Two can be daisy chained for higher output. They are (hands down) the best portable generators on the planet. The output is stable and accurate. SUPER QUIET.

You can let them sit forever and not worry about them starting. Moth other brands (even name brands) will be problems in the long run.

I would also not overbuy. There is nothing worse than lugging around an 10kW genset when you really only need 2kW or 3kW. Even then, I would buy two small Hondas instead of 1 large unit if I needed more output.

I have a whole house standby (Kohler 20kW) but also have a Honda EU2200i. Prior to the standby, the Honda would run the tank, refrigerator and full standup freezer, a few computers and lights and never break a sweat. Small and light enough that she could carry it and start it.

Prior to that we had numerous other generators. A 5kW Harbor Freight and a 9kW harbor freight and a few other "commercial" units. All of them were beasts, could be a bear to start (even the electric start 9kW and 7kW DeWalt) and she could barely move them. They were hard to maintain and had CRAP voltage regulation and super loud.

I would resist the urge to buy a knock of of the EU2200i - you will save $400 dollars but in the end regret wasting $800.
Those Honda's are nice. We have one at work for corded tool use. Easy to lug around, quiet, they start all the time and we usually keep gas in it. I should have bought one for myself for reef and camping. I bought a cheap higher wattage $400 one which is in an outdoor shed needing a new carb...and it is a pain to start when it does work.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend a tent for it. when you need a gen it's usually bad weather and want to keep electronics dry. https://www.gentent.com/ as for a transfer switch, they make one that attaches to the electric meter which is easier than wiring the thing to the electric box with a lock out switch etc... https://www.generlink.com/
I wouldn’t try to back feed unless you really (I mean really really) fully understand what you are doing and know the consequences both legal and safety. . Easy way to burn up a generator or hurt/kill somebody.

The generlink appears to be well thought out and not a bad idea from a safety standpoint. The issue is feeding half of a panel with a 120V genset and the oddities that come with 220v loads, shared neutrals, etc. Likewise, without load shedding, even of the genset was 220V, one would need to be very careful about what loads where enabled before starting or transfer and during operation.

My suggestion for most folks is a portable generator and cord/plug hookup. If you want whole house, then buy a standby generator of the proper size to carry the load or with the load shedding option and a real transfer switch.

Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t try to back feed unless you really (I mean really really) fully understand what you are doing and know the consequences both legal and safety. . Easy way to burn up a generator or hurt/kill somebody.
Hmmm, shocking!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have always wanted a Honda generator, but the price has always been too much.
So after making mistakes with a couple first cheaper generators decades ago I learned if you take care of them, even the cheaper brands last decades. Only use clear gas ( non alcohol ), change that out at least twice a year. Some say using a product like Stabil isn't needed for clear gas, but I use it.
Change the oil.
I had a 5000 watt Generac for nearly 20 years. It was wired into it's own circuit box ( Gentran).
I upgraded to Predator 8750 about 8 years ago.

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply looking for something that is sinple that would work for the aquarium

Not involved-bot whole house set up

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back