Bacteria bloom? Cloudy water

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Our 75 seems to be going through a pretty bad cloudy stage. Tested my levels and all is well. Last water change of 10 gallons was Sunday.

We took some of our rock from our 20 gallon out (major amphipod population) and dried it out pretty good, then put it in this 75 to finish out some rock work. I'm wondering if that is the cause of it since this didn't happen until we did that? If it wasn't fully dried, would the dead bacteria cause this?

We have only added a one spot foxface, some corals, and cuc.

Since this bloom, our toadstool leather has went from huge and full of polyps to bent over and angry. Only a few polyps are out now on it. Fish and everything else are still doing fine minus the toadstool.

Added some carbon to the HOB today to try and clear it up.

Any ideas?

20210527_174311.jpg

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock dried out then you pretty much put a rotting piece of rock in a tank. Everything on it that was alive is now decaying and likely leading to that bloom.

Anytime a previously used rock (that was allowed to dry out) is going to be used, the rock needs to be cured

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of that and no idea why I didn't think of it.

Just wait it out most likely?

You can take the rock out and have it rot in a bucket. Other than that, UV and big water changes may help. I would get a decent amount of aeration and water movement if you don't already (just to help with oxygen especially at night). I would also test for ammonia just in case.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will it not recolonize anytime soon?

I've got a lot of aeration, ammonia so far is still at 0.

It wasnt even probably 5 lbs of rock. Mostly small pieces at the bottom to attach corals to.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take the rock out and have it rot in a bucket. Other than that, UV and big water changes may help. I would get a decent amount of aeration and water movement if you don't already (just to help with oxygen especially at night). I would also test for ammonia just in case.
Yes. This. How long ago did you add the rock?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was around 6 smaller pieces. Nothing huge.

I figured by now it would be starting to colonize again. Can't believe I didn't think of this!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around a week or so ago now. Levels have all stayed with 0 ammonia and nitrite. Fish show no signs of stress.
I personally would stay the course at this point. Just ensure you have more than adequate aeration, run some carbon and the bacteria level should even out over time. I would think most of the die off has already occurred unless the rock was really nasty.
And adding any fritz bacteria won't do anything either will it? I've got a full bottle in the fridge.
Sounds like you have plenty of bacteria going on already. If there is absolutely no trace of ammonia in a week, I wouldn't add any more.

Just what I would do.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would stay the course at this point. Just ensure you have more than adequate aeration, run some carbon and the bacteria level should even out over time. I would think most of the die off has already occurred unless the rock was really nasty.

Sounds like you have plenty of bacteria going on already. If there is absolutely no trace of ammonia in a week, I wouldn't add any more.

Just what I would do.
Yeah this was pretty clean rock that was completely covered with amphipods. We didn't want them coming to the 75, so I just soaked it in rodi water. After the pods all came off, left it out for 2 days. Probably where I messed up.

We just put it as a small layer at the bottom of our 75 established rock for coral placement and to finish the scape.

Hopefully it wasn't enough to cause a big issue and this is temporary! Thanks!

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this was pretty clean rock that was completely covered with amphipods. We didn't want them coming to the 75, so I just soaked it in rodi water. After the pods all came off, left it out for 2 days. Probably where I messed up.

We just put it as a small layer at the bottom of our 75 established rock for coral placement and to finish the scape.

Hopefully it wasn't enough to cause a big issue and this is temporary! Thanks!

Cheap UV's like the green machine found at most petco and petsmarts will clear it up if it gets worse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back