Bacteria Bloom

calev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I've been in the hobby for 2.5 years now and have an established 110 gallon with 40 gallon sump. I have a bacteria bloom that seems to be lingering around. I've read conflicting things online wuxj as don't do big water cahabhes as it will prolong the bloom or don't use a UV sterilizer. I know it's most likely from over feeding but I have a trigger that isn't very aggressive unless he doesn't eat aboit 4 times daily. If I fees him less he bullies my sailfin. Any suggestions? I appreciate any and all help thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lingering how long? Complete current parameters? UV seem to help blooms because it is in the water column but does not correct the underlying source of your problem. I would also decrease light for a week to 6 hours blue and uv only no whites. May need air stone because some blooms can become toxic and affect 02 for fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone, I've been in the hobby for 2.5 years now and have an established 110 gallon with 40 gallon sump. I have a bacteria bloom that seems to be lingering around. I've read conflicting things online wuxj as don't do big water cahabhes as it will prolong the bloom or don't use a UV sterilizer. I know it's most likely from over feeding but I have a trigger that isn't very aggressive unless he doesn't eat aboit 4 times daily. If I fees him less he bullies my sailfin. Any suggestions? I appreciate any and all help thanks!
Please for starters post pic of tank. Additionally:
What is age of this tank?
Type of filtration?
Is tank at or near a window?
What is nitrate and Phosphate level?

Often, when there's a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies generated and it then becomes suspended in the water , it can grow so quickly that it becomes visible causing the water to look or become milky and hazy in appearance from an increase in the nutrients in the water especially nitrates and phosphates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What changed - did you start overfeeding recently? Do you have the rest of your parameters? UV should improve a bacterial bloom, water changes will not do anything - unless your parameters are off - or you think (overfeeding?) that there might be a lot of organic debris. What are you feeding 4x/day - are you using any activated carbon - or any other additions.

You could also make a DIY water polisher (search on Youtube - extremely simple)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back