Bacteria culturing

samcurtis07

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2017
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rouge peppermint shrimp eating my elegance coral so I stuck him in a five gallon bucket with old tank water and some live sand left over from siphoning. Anyway I vodka dose my main tank with great success so I just splashed a couple mL's in the shrimp's bucket and it caused a bacteria bloom clouding the tank within 24 hours. So I was thinking does it make sense to set up a 5 gallon bucket with some rock and sand with a pump and heater and just over dose a carbon source (say 3-4 mL of vodka a day) and occasionally fish food to allow for bacteria to thrive? Then once the bucket has been running for a while, say a month, you could then dose your main tank with the bacteria water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new