Bacteria in a bottle, Myth or Fact

Which bottle bacteria in your personal experience worked for you in a sterile tank.

• Total voters
OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have started up a number of tanks putting fish in day 1 always using Seachem Stability which you dont mention but is a major player. it works very well.

It's on the list for second round of experiment

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok these are the changes I have gathered so far.

1. No dry rock. Will use equal amount of ceramic media.
2. Equal amount of dry sand same kind
3. Bottles need to have same expiry date as package dates are not mentioned on any Bottles.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  • I let all my tanks accumulate bacteria naturally but have been hearing Great things about Fritz Turbo Start 900

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I 'll be interested in knowing is some manufacturers claim to use the bottle and add fish immediately or few days after.
If ammonia is still present after initial dose or few days as bottle recommends them the claim is not true as we all know ammonia will hurt/kill fish.
Another is Red Sea Mature kit as well

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacteria in a bottle does exist. Bill Hyatt has something called right now Bacteria and it will cycle a tank in about 4 days. On 5th day I started filling my tank with no loss. I have used it and it work great. How about Rid X for a sewage tank? You know that works and it really eats the Sh,,. thousand of pounds to be exact.. It`s bacteria in a bottle. It`s not a Myth!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, your testing protocol will hamper the results. By choosing the tanks to be barebottom, you are limiting the area for the bacteria to colonize. If you ask Dr Tim, he will even admit that the time to cycle a tank with a substrate is 2-3 times faster than that without.

I wouldn't be so sure. You clearly get more surface area if you have sand in the tank, but for it to affect the results, the surface area of the tank would need to be the limiting factor and essentially the entire surface completely covered with bacteria so they are essentially crowding each other out. Further more, since a tank with no sand can support enough bacteria to be 'fully cycled,' that would tell me the additional surface area created by adding sand isn't necessary.

One scenario I could see happening is an 'over' proliferation of bacteria allowed by the additional surface area dropping the ammonia more quickly with the excess bacteria subsequently dying off. You'd have to do a test with the same product and a bare-bottom vs sand-bottom tank to see for sure.

ChrisLCC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's on my 325G Reef tank & on my 125G FOWLR tank. It worked both times for me and cycled the tanks in a week. I used all Dry Marco Rocks on my 325G with Caribsea Live Sand.

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacterial cultures have been grown and sold for years in the food industry. Dairy cultures for cheese, yogurt, sourcream and more are very common.

Yes, it can be done and is done on a regular basis. Doing a single test like this means little.

Max Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Dr Tim’s with their ammonium chloride with 0 ammonia in 7 days(125g). I’m taking my first stab at a (3.9g) next week. I’ll be going bare bottom for the first time, and will be using microbacter7 and caribsea flat cut stackable rocks. I’m excited to see if water volume plays a large factor in how fast the ammonia is consumed.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018 and still someone thinks the bacteria in a bottle is snake oil. What can I say lol You wanna know if they are real? Get your sample checked out by a micro lab.

TimR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how the bottled bacteria compares to using live rock.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That we already know. Depending on quality and establishment of live rock and how much bacteria you import with them it could take a few days to few weeks to cycle.
I have seen tanks that never saw a cycle because the rock so so established that it could filter ammonia right away.

LAWG8R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good point, but that’s why these products are mad: to supply the most commonly found bacteria from live rock without the hitchhikers.

Elude82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works! I have set up 8 tanks now, a few friend’s tanks included in that number.
Yes, it sounds like a catch, and as you stated the bacteria sits on shelves, temperatures, etc.
If you look at the Fritz Zyme’s Turbo Start as an example. It has a shelf life, and if your LFS is as good as mine, it will be stored in a cooler. Personally I use to use Fast Start, then moved to Fritz. I have started 8 tanks now, and added livestock as soon as the sand settled. Last tank was within 24 hours. And I’ve never had a tank crash.
The first thing is, I never add more than 1 or 2 species a week. To help balance the bioload. Then, I ensure all water changes are routine. Usually 10% a week, personally for me this has always been on sundays.
Next, once a month, I add a capful of It again.
Either I am the luckiest person in the hobby, or it works. And I will go with the latter of the two. Paprameters always in check too.
In every tank I have ran ChemiPure Elite in the filtration as well.
In this hobby, there are many changes. And most traditional ways are being replaced or substituted.
To each their own.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely believe in bacteria-in-a-bottle, but don't necessarily trust all brands available for it. It works for your body too! Drink kefir.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%

Back