Bacterial bloom few weeks into cycling

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would it be worth me emptying the tank and going down that route then? As I’m assuming I can’t dose atm in my current water?
You can add any bottled bacteria product at this point and it should help. There are lots of options available. You are looking for nitrifying bacteria for aquariums.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would it be worth me emptying the tank and going down that route then? As I’m assuming I can’t dose atm in my current water?
You can dose it now. You can use microbacter7 as well for beneficial bacteria as well. Just need to follow what it says on the bottle. Also if you can start running activated carbon. That will help clear the water.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way your tank has anywhere near 8 on amonia. Did the fish store use your test kit or their own??
Secondly, dont empty your tank and start over. You did too much too fast. Slow down. Corals are probably not gonna do well as by the look of your tank it's not done cycling yet. Let it be for a couple weeks dont add anything. Let it do its thing.

Do small water changes weekly(5-10%), make sure your salinity is stable and your keeping g up with top offs.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose it now. You can use microbacter7 as well for beneficial bacteria as well. Just need to follow what it says on the bottle. Also if you can start running activated carbon. That will help clear the water.
I currently have seacham purigen and chemipure blue in there.
Would that atm colony improve my tank?

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way your tank has anywhere near 8 on amonia. Did the fish store use your test kit or their own??
Secondly, dont empty your tank and start over. You did too much too fast. Slow down. Corals are probably not gonna do well as by the look of your tank it's not done cycling yet. Let it be for a couple weeks dont add anything. Let it do its thing.

Do small water changes weekly(5-10%), make sure your salinity is stable and your keeping g up with top offs.
I agree with this. But adding nitrifying bacteria is not going to hurt or change anything drastically. It can only help. Not make it worse.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity is fine 1.024

They used both theirs and mine, same results on api. I told them about the salifert test and they said they don’t understand why such a big difference.
But surely it would all be dead

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is fine 1.024

They used both theirs and mine, same results on api. I told them about the salifert test and they said they don’t understand why such a big difference.
But surely it would all be dead
In my opinion when keeping coral you wa t to be 1.026. Also what salt are you using?

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can also be your problem. Do you know how old the water is each time? What kind of salt they are using? Is it mixed properly? Is it airated? You have zero control then. I highly recommend you dont do that.
Are they using rodi water and not tap water. Too many unknown variables.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can also be your problem. Do you know how old the water is each time? What kind of salt they are using? Is it mixed properly? Is it airated? You have zero control then. I highly recommend you dont do that.
How
Are they using rodi water and not tap water. Too many unknown variables.
if I’m honest I don’t know the answer to any of that. I picked up some today that they had to mix up while I was there waiting. Salinity of it is 1.025 and tests show 0 on all

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. But adding nitrifying bacteria is not going to hurt or change anything drastically. It can only help. Not make it worse.
Oh I agree on the bacteria. I just read through his thread. Seems like he added it a few times already. Which is why I said to stop adding stuff lol

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice on here is slow down. You started the thread 2 weeks ago... then a few days ago you added a bunch of inverts and coral. "Be patient is the key". "Slow and steady". "Nothing happens in a reef tank fast(except bad stuff!!l) " these are all quotes, and good advice. Trust me. I've been there adding stuff too fast, too soon too much. It all ends badly.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice on here is slow down. You started the thread 2 weeks ago... then a few days ago you added a bunch of inverts and coral. "Be patient is the key". "Slow and steady". "Nothing happens in a reef tank fast(except bad stuff!!l) " these are all quotes, and good advice. Trust me. I've been there adding stuff too fast, too soon too much. It all ends badly.
I shall leave it be and just add some good bacteria

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this for a little while now I dose 10ml once a week

15656488057783381806421324682501.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back