TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquadleaders
#reefsquadleader

Slowly started to show on one fish out of the blue. No new additions in last 6 weeks. All other fish seem healthy and I run UV 24/7. Pulled fish and did FW dip, nothing. Fish passed shortly after. Would one assume its possibly from injury and is localized to that one fish?

Tank has always been super healthy. Fish added to DT 6 weeks ago were all qt (copper/prazi). And 5 weeks of post observation in a QT

Thoughts?

20191223_075719.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquadleaders
#reefsquadleader

Slowly started to show on one fish out of the blue. No new additions in last 6 weeks. All other fish seem healthy and I run UV 24/7. Pulled fish and did FW dip, nothing. Fish passed shortly after. Would one assume its possibly from injury and is localized to that one fish?

Tank has always been super healthy. Fish added to DT 6 weeks ago were all qt (copper/prazi). And 5 weeks of post observation in a QT

Thoughts?

20191223_075719.jpg
He looks thin to me, although that could just be the picture. How many times a day do you feed, and did you see him actively feeding?

Let's get @HotRocks and @4FordFamily in here, also.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was the fish behaving over the last few days? Having a hard time zeroing in on the photo its the growth on the belly? Could be damage from rockwork. All other fish acting normal, eating, no new signs of aggression or signs of illness?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks thin to me, although that could just be the picture. How many times a day do you feed, and did you see him actively feeding?

Let's get @HotRocks and @4FordFamily in here, also.
Feed twice a day. Was always actively feeding, but in last few weeks been really busy with work, so havnt been paying attention. Was a little thin yes. But over last 3-5 days swimming was erratic and not normal. Odd as this fish has been in the tank for 8months+.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed twice a day. Was always actively feeding, but in last few weeks been really busy with work, so havnt been paying attention. Was a little thin yes. But over last 3-5 days swimming was erratic and not normal. Odd as this fish has been in the tank for 8months+.
I would just continue to monitor the other fish. With out more to go on it would be challenging to pick a proper course of action imo.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was the fish behaving over the last few days? Having a hard time zeroing in on the photo its the growth on the belly? Could be damage from rockwork. All other fish acting normal, eating, no new signs of aggression or signs of illness?
From what I see normal. All other fish normal. Aggression none that I've noticed except there was a large male that always swam with this fish at surface every night playing around. More play than anything

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just continue to monitor the other fish. With out more to go on it would be challenging to pick a proper course of action imo.
Ok. And to be clear, a scrap/weak immune system, or something that would cause a bacterial infection is typically localized to that one fish?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. And to be clear, a scrap/weak immune system, or something that would cause a bacterial infection is typically localized to that one fish?
Not necessarily, but you would need to know what weakened the immune system to know what to correct. And that is assuming the core problem was a bacterial or viral infection.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see signs of infection. The fish does appear thin, I'd guess the culprit was internal parasites (common in wrasse) which led to weakness and malnutrition, which led infection to take over due to the weakened immune state.

Lots of assumptions, but if I was to throw a dart that's my bet. Sorry for your loss :(

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back