Bacterial Infections, STN

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I remember reading, somewhere, that a possible cause of stn or rtn that pops up out of nowhere, may be explained by a bacterial infection.

If this were true, would it be any bacteria, or would it be something clearly unwanted? Would using something such as MB7 be a good way to keep possible bad bacteria at bay?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is to help establish bacteria for the nitrate cycle I thought. I don’t think it will prevent bacterial infection of sps. I’m not sure which bacteria cause the infection but I have definitely heard of it causing STN. Another one you’ll see that kills from within is green boring algae.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that mb7 would help by outcompeting the bad bacteria. I don’t know where it comes from, or how fast it grows, but do know that we can probably add more mb7 than bad bacteria.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mb7 is a bottled bacteria but has a nice high carbon dose kick to it.

It's for nitrifying bacteria and to help with nutrients.

Rtn and stn yes , sometimes a bacterial infection, more along the lines of Brown jelly I way.
The bacterial stn was cured with antibiotics and funnily enough , dips. Two little fishies revive and Iodine Tina large extent as both are astringents and bacterial cleaners.

I dip in Bayer for bugs in the first bucket , revive and water in the first rinse Because of that.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does happens from time to time (bacteria infection) as we live in a bacteria ladden world. It comes from air, foods we feed and probably from our hands during tank cleaning etc. It happens in the wild as well, it surely happened in my tank multiple time. But nothing is completely dead, only patches of tissue necrosis that will heal later. Just be informed that tissue necrosis happens due to a lot of things, not necessary bacteria infections.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand that many things cause rtn or stn, and that a dip is a better method, post infection, but I am getting at prevention of a bacterial infection. I’m wondering if keeping a good bacteria, such as the type found in mb7, in high numbers, would keep the bad bacteria at bay.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand that many things cause rtn or stn, and that a dip is a better method, post infection, but I am getting at prevention of a bacterial infection. I’m wondering if keeping a good bacteria, such as the type found in mb7, in high numbers, would keep the bad bacteria at bay.
Not post. Pre dip.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not post. Pre dip.

How about when a hermit crab, or my reckless hand, injures the coral? I imagine that some nasty bacteria, if present, could doom the coral, no?

What I’m aiming at doing is lowering the population of nasty bacteria such as the vibrio that was mentioned, via mb7 out competing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about when a hermit crab, or my reckless hand, injures the coral? I imagine that some nasty bacteria, if present, could doom the coral, no?

What I’m aiming at doing is lowering the population of nasty bacteria such as the vibrio that was mentioned, via mb7 out competing.
Doesn't quite work that way.
What it does is remove the pathogens before it gets to the tank as those dips I mentioned kill those before it enters the system. Like a hand sanitizer does. It kills viruses and bad bacteria like BJD vibrio etc.

They feed on specific things like cold and flu does to us.

Nitrifying bacteria and bio diversity are a whole different subject.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any literature on dips having any efficacy against vibrio? There’s a reason that antibiotics take weeks to be efficacious, and I highly doubt that anything that wouldn’t kill zooxanthelle would be effective in killing vibrio in a dip...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an acro stn due to lack of nutrients. Bumped nutrients up and the acro is flourishing now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any literature on dips having any efficacy against vibrio? There’s a reason that antibiotics take weeks to be efficacious, and I highly doubt that anything that wouldn’t kill zooxanthelle would be effective in killing vibrio in a dip...
As I understood it from the old guys , you dip and qt. Hand sanitizer is a good analogy. It's not going to kill everything.
So If you see signs of something going bad in the qt , treat there.

Thee was a time when a plague ravaged the acros in the us from imports.
I've been looking for the good article on it and just can't find the blasted thing.

But the key to knowing was , it was like true brown jelly and PMd and whole tank was effected , not one or two coral

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't quite work that way.
What it does is remove the pathogens before it gets to the tank as those dips I mentioned kill those before it enters the system. Like a hand sanitizer does. It kills viruses and bad bacteria like BJD vibrio etc.

They feed on specific things like cold and flu does to us.

Nitrifying bacteria and bio diversity are a whole different subject.

Wouldn’t this bad bacteria be present in the senders tank, thus wreaking havoc?

When we nuke ourselves with powerful antibiotics, we open the door to bad bacteria that is already present, right?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t this bad bacteria be present in the senders tank, thus wreaking havoc?

When we nuke ourselves with powerful antibiotics, we open the door to bad bacteria that is already present, right?
Yep, that's why the plague sweet the country. Acros were rare and the sources were few.

Better handling and cleaning led to safer practices. I can't find the article , but it was also I think belived to be conditions in the ocean. Like warm water at the time in that place they we're harvested.

I'd put it more along the lines of vaccination than antibiotics.
Folks also forget measles, polio
And the flu epidemic of 1919.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back