• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Bad experience with saltwaterAquarium.com

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: Placed an order a week ago, fedex lost the package, contacted saltwater aquarium and I was given no options but to wait more than 2 weeks to get the replacement. Ordered a second package and paid for it second time since I need the items, was told it will ship today, and it wasn't shipped and cannot reach them via phone or text during office hours before 4pm EST and still haven't heard back from them even now.

My experience is saltwaterAquarium.com will not provide any helpful support and turn their back on you if the shipment is lost. I am not talking about where fedex said delivered and I didn't get it, I am talking about where on the fedex website, the shipment hasn't moved for 4 days and no estimated day of delivery and when fedex rep told me that the item is most likely lost.

I have ordered from @SaltwaterAq a few times and had no issue with shipments before. More than a week ago, I placed an order, and it was shipped out the next day. And Fedex was supposed to deliver it last Sat. In short, Fedex didn't deliver, their tracking page has no estimated day of delivery, tracking hasn't been updated in 4 days and when I called Fedex, they said package is most likely lost and asked me to contact the shipper to work it out.

I sent an email to SaltwaterAquarium asking whether they can work with Fedex to track down the package and if the package is lost, can they send me replacement as I need the items asap.

Here is the entire answer I got.

"sorry for the delay - I can do a replacement but I do need to wait 10 days form the last known tracking to do so. Please keep me posted as the date arrives and if you do not receive your package."

Not we will do our best to track down the package for you or keep an eye on it and send a replacement as soon as possible. Instead, it is not our problem, wait 10 days and contact us again and we will send replacement.

I told them that if that is the case, it will be more than 3 weeks (1 week past + 7 days (10 days from the last known tracking) + another week for new shipment) and I cannot wait that long. I asked again to track down the package as shipper and whether I have option to buy it again (pay twice) and return it without being charged shipping and restocking fees if the lost package somehow shows up a week later.

Entire Answer:
"Asking my FedeEx rep for a trace - I can refund you for the missing package after 10 days if you want to try and repurchase before that?"

what is the point of contacting Fedex if I still have to wait 10 days? No effort to explain how their interaction with Fedex works. No mentioned of whether I will be able to return without the shipping and restocking fees if I order again. Sent another email and asked expliclity again, then i finally get the answer that there won't be shipping and restocking fees. (it shouldn't anyway, since it is not customer's fault)

Since I need the stuff, I ordered exact same thing again today while the rep is on the phone. I was told it will be shipped today. The order was placed before 1PM EST and the website also mentions that it will usually ship on the same day if order is placed before 1PM EST. I requested for expedited shipping although at this point I don't expect much from them. Hours passed and no shipment, called them twice. no answer, left a voice mail, no call back. texted them, no answer all during their office hours before 4pm EST. Order is still waiting fullfillment as of now.

To conclude, I paid them twice, waited a week after first payment, and need to wait a week more to get refund for the first payment. Paid second time because I am in a hurry and they won't ship as promised like a regular order let alone giving me any additional support for my situation.

I am quite disappointed with how saltwateraquarium turned their back on the customer in need of the product and didn't help in anyway. I get that they are a small business (so is premium aquatics), but part of having a great customer service is when crap happens and it is not customer fault, you need to make it right and take some losses if needed, rather than "tough luck for you, deal with it yourself". Worse yet, I made the second purchase and my card was charged but they didn't ship that order on time let alone helping me get it sonner than normal. You be the judge if I am being unreasonable here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contrast:

My experience with BRS:
In one of the orders I placed, I ordered a Tunze magnet cleaner and one of the pastic blades has a chip on it, called BRS to see whether they can send the replacement blade only. Instead they said they will sent another brand new magnet cleaner with expedited shipping (on the same day that arrived in two days). I am like wait, i haven't even shown you the picture proof yet. No proof needed, no need to send back the damanged magnet cleaner. We value our customers and we have your back.

My experience with premium aquatics:
In one of the orders I placed, I ordered red sea test kits, One of the bottles that is supposed to be clear has debris in it. Sent a picture of a sealed bottle with debris in it in email, got the response back within an hour, rep told me he went to the warehouse and checked, all the bottle they have are clear. Sent the test kits as replacement with expedited shipping on same day.

OP
OP
R

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Fedex customer rep called me this morning and tell me that they were able to track down the package and will be delivering it to me asap. Apparently, when I called last Sat, they opened an investigation/case and assigned someone to look into it and was able to track down the package. At least Fedex CS was helpful when their customer is in need. Thank you, Fedex!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back