Bad hobby terms.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, here's another winner from a FB Post . "Best and easiest chiller and GO!!!!" No other data given.

Really??
IMG_0199_zpsmhcwcqad.jpg

:D (Can't help myself sometimes)

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, as I stated I think we need more scientific names. So that the rest of us actually know what the heck someone is talking about. Too generalized wording is just making things worse, as I and another have already mentioned. If they say "this LPS I have" actually makes no sense, or even "this (insert common name here)" still doesn't work. So working at learning correct scientific names or at least the Genera of what you're talking about makes things a lot easier in the long run.
Same troubles in the tarantula hobby! Saying you have/want a birdeater is useless. There are so many that are called bird eaters -- heck, the German name for tarantula literally translates to bird spider!

Or "red rump"; you could be asking for a nice Brachypelma, and get a bugnuts crazy Thrixopelma! [emoji23]

More latin!
I even sneak them in, at work.
The hermit crabs they send me? Labeled as "small hermit crabs". That's all the label says.
My PO listed them as "dardanus sp." so I added an extra line with the label maker, so my customers could make informed decisions.

(Labeling the green leather corals with sarcophyton sp seemed overkill, but I did it anyway.)

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken the oath! No more foot but pedal disk! Like a bicycle to move from one location to another. Maybe bicycle disk (kidding)? Thanks for the correct term.
I use the most ridiculous and incorrect term of all; butt.
Mostly when I'm annoyed (just sit yer butt down and stop wandering the tank)!

I know it's foot/pedal disc (i.e. foot disc), but... butts are funny

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a professor that wrote an extremely comprehensive book on probability and statistics. Out of 25 references, only 6 were not Wikipedia. The scientific, math, and engineering based Wikipedia pages are getting to be quite serious references. Have you ever tried to look up a math term on Wikipedia? It is beyond intense. More in depth than doctorate level math courses.

Jokes, Skydvr. Jokes.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, as I stated I think we need more scientific names. So that the rest of us actually know what the heck someone is talking about. Too generalized wording is just making things worse, as I and another have already mentioned. If they say "this LPS I have" actually makes no sense, or even "this (insert common name here)" still doesn't work. So working at learning correct scientific names or at least the Genera of what you're talking about makes things a lot easier in the long run.

You're statement is a matter of personal preference.
IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with generalizing Hammer Coral aka Euphyllia Ancora. [emoji16]

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a bad hobby term but more of a forum pet peeve: Posts that start out with "Title says it all", followed by several more paragraphs of explanatory stuff.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're statement is a matter of personal preference.
IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with generalizing Hammer Coral aka Euphyllia Ancora. [emoji16]

I agree, with some. like saying "hammer coral/E. ancora or branch hammer coral/ E. paraancora" that's totally fine, it makes sense and isn't a fluffy gimmick name. Those aren't the one's we're talking about, it's the others that aren't just generalizations, a lot of them tell us absolutely nothing about the species they're talking about. And as has been stated, they could be several species, or even from a different genus altogether. Scientific names are important :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also disagree with doing away with the terms LPS and SPS. They aren't intended to be taxonomy tools. They're hobby tools that I think have some use to describe some general traits and care consideration.

That said, it makes me chuckle to see the difficult time vendors have deciding where to put cyphastrea. :p

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"RAINBOW " Since when have you see an actual rainbow with 2 noticeable colors and a hint of a 3rd color . ..Reefing has destroyed rainbows haha.. 3 colors does not warrant calling things rainbow ..ok I'm done
Dang right!
20170113_200330.jpg

This would be a rainbow!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We never said hobbyists would ever decide to go away from using SPS, LPS, and Softy. We're just saying they aren't exactly accurate :) and, I do need to argue that they tell us nothing in regard to their care needs.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllias 25 years ago were some of the most confused taxonomically. Their skeletons all share such similar traits most are indistinguishable from other species based solely on skeletal structure. Only by studying the physiology of the soft tissue has their taxonomic places changed.

If we are going to jump on LPS, SPS, softies, let's just go ahead and get rid of "mixed reef" too, because everyone here has a mixed reef, unless you have a singular species, it's pretty much mixed. :D

Nick stokes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllias 25 years ago were some of the most confused taxonomically. Their skeletons all share such similar traits most are indistinguishable from other species based solely on skeletal structure. Only by studying the physiology of the soft tissue has their taxonomic places changed.

If we are going to jump on LPS, SPS, softies, let's just go ahead and get rid of "mixed reef" too, because everyone here has a mixed reef, unless you have a singular species, it's pretty much mixed. :D

And the subspecies of the species [emoji23][emoji23]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back