Bad hobby terms.

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this seems to have divulged into a thread dedicated to ranting about the hobby, I'd like to say that I feel like every thread on here ends up with a consensus that a tank is doomed to fail if it doesn't have:
250 gallon display
100 gallon sump
100 gallon refugium (even with all of this it's just not enough to host a Mandarin. Maybe if you had 3x this much water volume!)
All of the ATI T5 lighting
12 Ecotech powerheads...that should at least give you moderate flow
All of the Hanna checkers.
The list goes on and on.
Someone in the hobby for years that works post retirement at a LFS told me a simple yet profound thing when I was stressing about my tank:
"It doesn't matter if you have a 30g or 250g tank, you are still trying to replicate the OCEAN in a tiny box. Things will go wrong."

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone in the hobby for years that works post retirement at a LFS told me a simple yet profound thing when I was stressing about my tank:
"It doesn't matter if you have a 30g or 250g tank, you are still trying to replicate the OCEAN in a tiny box. Things will go wrong."

Wise words right there. I see the same issues in our 5000g reef at work, as I and we all do in our systems at home. The same in our 300k gallon shark system. No matter what size, they're all still small in comparison.

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try not to get too irritated by this. I've come to grips with the fact that a HUGE number of people completely suck at searching for things for whatever reason. They're not lazy, just clueless in many cases.
I agree - mix of lazy and clueless. When you are new; 1) it can be difficult to determine the correct query and 2) you worry if the previous information is no longer relevant (e.g. due to technology updates, etc.)

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. This was the biggest surprise I had after being out of the reefing game for a decade. I come back, and corals are arbitrarily being named after comic book heroes. What the he(ck) is a 'spiderman' frag? Last weekend, I picked up a nice, orange Leptoseris frag that, apparently, is widely known as 'Jack-0-lantern'. A decade back, we _attempted_ to give correct names for our corals... no, we were not always accurate, but some attempt was made. Yeah, I once bought a montipora that was actually heliopora... but it was an honest mistake. How, exactly, do you look up care requirements for 'superman' coral, anyway?

o_O
+1 EXACTLY- how are you suppose to determine the care requirements? I'm surprised that doesn't garner less sales instead of more.

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'll often have scientific names I give be totally ignored because they want to know its "real name"

That IS its real name! Not the gimmicky nickname of why you think it's worth 5x as much. That may be the reason some of us actually use them, because we started before there were so many useless names and that's all they're known by unless you go out of your way to study them. I agree with ws6kid, there's just enough people using correct terms that the only way they aren't used more is if they're completely ignored, which is a little insulting. Anyway, back to the thread.
If we all make an effort to call out the real name, it could be the first thing people see coming into the hobby and become the norm. Easier to remember of that's what everyone is saying!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, as I stated I think we need more scientific names. So that the rest of us actually know what the heck someone is talking about. Too generalized wording is just making things worse, as I and another have already mentioned. If they say "this LPS I have" actually makes no sense, or even "this (insert common name here)" still doesn't work. So working at learning correct scientific names or at least the Genera of what you're talking about makes things a lot easier in the long run.

It might be easier in the long run if scientists stopped changing the genus all the time for example acans are now micromussa plus there are loads more.

MicroPico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the confusion generated from renaming corals with many common names for the same coral etc. as was previously brought up here several times, I find that it is equally confusing when the scientific community changes the scientific names not only once, but sometimes three times. I realize that new research designates the name changes but it is so confusing just the same. My .02.

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what's on this fish/coral..
077.jpg

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - mix of lazy and clueless. When you are new; 1) it can be difficult to determine the correct query and 2) you worry if the previous information is no longer relevant (e.g. due to technology updates, etc.)
And honestly it can be daunting hobby when starting off. Newbies should ask questions. And lets not forget that searching will often return dubious or simply incorrect results.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be easier in the long run if scientists stopped changing the genus all the time for example acans are now micromussa plus there are loads more.

A lot of the changes make a lot more sense now with the Genera they've been added to. It was quite mixed up before the changes started.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How, exactly, do you look up care requirements for 'superman' coral, anyway?

Well I'm sure as long as it's kept far away from the kryponite coral it would be okay :D

Being new to the hobby I can say it can really be difficult to search for things when you may not have a clue what exactly it is your trying to search for. I can definitely agree with the "what is this?" with a blurry pic or reefers asking what's wrong without posting there parameters for those to help. There is a wealth of information on this forum and excellent dedicated members who want to help in any way they can. But they can't lift a finger without knowing what is going on.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting B thread. Taking breaks can ease the stress

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back