Bad hobby terms.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's your prerogative. some people like to use the word starfish, instead of sea star. :)

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Related. It always really bothers me that zoas are sold to beginner hobbists due to being generally easy to care for, but almost no one mentions that oh by the way, these things can kill you if you don't take the proper precautions. Just the irresponsibility of the industry and retailers on informing people about palytoxin irks me.
Zoas are poisonous? I did not know that

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are poisonous? I did not know that

It will vary from species to species, but most contain amounts of Palytoxin, and the amount varies. It's bad enough that it won't take much so it's best to just use caution with all of them. My personal experiences have been with Palythoa grandis, they are thought to contain some of the highest concentrations of it.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will vary from species to species, but most contain amounts of Palytoxin, and the amount varies. It's bad enough that it won't take much so it's best to just use caution with all of them. My personal experiences have been with Palythoa grandis, they are thought to contain some of the highest concentrations of it.
Thank you, I learn something new every day!

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defining lighting by watts per gallon.
Maximum number of fish by inches per gallon.
Or any other arbitray limit defined by the volume of the aquarium.

Tanks now come in such a variety of dimensions that those general guidelines are useless. When tanks were basically scaled versions of eachother (rectangular boxes), those were valid guidelines. But when you can have a given volume that ranges from a tall "cube" (I'll add any calling any tank that has a rectangular base a cube despite the fact that the height differs from the base dimensions) to a standard rectangular tank, to a long shallow frag tank. Water depth and swimming room vary greatly which are the largest determining factors for lighting and fish.
Maximum number of fish by inches per gallon was a very good indicator back in the seventies when we all used undergravel filters, air stones in the tubes to promote flow and power filters of some kind and a heater. It kept the bioload reasonable (a term we did not use or understand) and did not crowd the fish so they could have some space you would do fine. It is not a bad indicator today when you talk about how many fish to put in smaller tanks to prevent over crowding so it can still be useful. I think the old rule was 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons. In a small tank such as a 10 or 20 gallon you could support more with todays equipment but would over crowd the tank, not good for fish health or longevity. I believe maximum number of fish by inches per gallon is still relevant to a degree depending on the tank size. I can see it being useful in larger tanks as well, not that you cannot support more, but it might be unwise for the health and longevity of the fish. Not a hard and fast rule anymore but perhaps a good guideline to consider.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We NEWBIES are very sorry for being annoying, I certainly don't want to bother anyone. We are just learning these terms and the hobby so I am very appreciative of your patience and help. Thank you very much [emoji4]

Shut up noob, we're on a roll... LOL

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, as I stated I think we need more scientific names. So that the rest of us actually know what the heck someone is talking about. Too generalized wording is just making things worse, as I and another have already mentioned. If they say "this LPS I have" actually makes no sense, or even "this (insert common name here)" still doesn't work. So working at learning correct scientific names or at least the Genera of what you're talking about makes things a lot easier in the long run.
Agreed, agreed and agreed. It would make for a simpler world and force sellers to be accurate. If I buy something by a wrong name that is what I call it and so will others as well as they purchase. Then comes the "what is it really" or "yours is not that, mine is ......".

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong. it is a basal disc or pedal disc.

This popped into my head as soon as I saw this post...

DwightVoice.jpg

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we are all apparently a little angry :)

Here is mine, has to do with fancy named coral, since I tend to buy more than I should :)

"Please ID this coral and name" - If you didn't buy it with a fancy name from a reputable source, it doesn't have one :p It is a green acropora.

Also, any question that is asked of the forums that a simple search on the forum will provide any answer you could possibly need. Some people have spent so much time providing great information. I think it is a little insulting to not search for those awesome responses before asking the same question again.

Yea, I am angry...probably should have not answered this right at the end of a work day :)
I am also irritated by questions that have been already answered because the person jumped in at the end rather than do a little reading to catch up.

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is probably going to hit close to home for some up here... I hate seeing Zoanthids called "zoos", zoa is the correct abbreviation ZOAnthid. A zoo is a place that houses exotic animals, you cannot keep a zoo in an aquarium, the animals would drown ;)

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a new pet peeve. Scientists that cannot leave one term like foot apply to various species rather than pedal disk or any other term they seem to insist on doing to us just because they can. I guess this thread touch a nerve or two I did not know I had. I feel much better now...

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximum number of fish by inches per gallon was a very good indicator back in the seventies when we all used undergravel filters, air stones in the tubes to promote flow and power filters of some kind and a heater. It kept the bioload reasonable (a term we did not use or understand) and did not crowd the fish so they could have some space you would do fine. It is not a bad indicator today when you talk about how many fish to put in smaller tanks to prevent over crowding so it can still be useful. I think the old rule was 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons. In a small tank such as a 10 or 20 gallon you could support more with todays equipment but would over crowd the tank, not good for fish health or longevity. I believe maximum number of fish by inches per gallon is still relevant to a degree depending on the tank size. I can see it being useful in larger tanks as well, not that you cannot support more, but it might be unwise for the health and longevity of the fish. Not a hard and fast rule anymore but perhaps a good guideline to consider.

Oh the inch per gallon rule......After years in the hobby and making all the early mistakes using this rule, I realized that the tank has to be stocked in a balanced way.. add bottom dweller, mid-level and full tank dwellers. Smaller fish fill the tank better than larger fish and even make the tank appear larger. Overstocking leads to over-stressing leads to disease or violence or death...

Oh and the Undergravel filter - I got this when I was in the 7th grade because I thought it would replace me having to siphon the gravel bed... I thought it looked way cool but never understood the concept of biological filter back then. All I knew is Cycle takes 1 month and you ready..Well now that I think about it...Cycle should be avoided from the reefing dictionary

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back