Bad or good hitchhiker worm?

egdirbkram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to ID this guy (white hairy/bristlelike worm on glass) to know if I should pull it or keep it. I have new tank with florida aquacultured live rock. I'm hoping it's not a bristleworm as I know they're bad and have to go. I'd like to keep it if will be helpful stirring up the sand and eating detritus. I don't want to keep any known coral eaters. Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_5026.PNG
IMG_7036CE202A79-1.jpeg

IMG_3D095F300E31-1.jpeg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the Stiff-footed Sea Cucumber, Eupentacta quinquesemita? That's the closest match I can think of at the moment (Eupentacta pseudoquinquesemita looks almost identical, but it is reported to prefer colder waters/live farther north).

Edit: if it is this sea cucumber, then it's a filter feeder/detritus eater (so filter feeder/CUC). However, you'd want to educate yourself on the risks of keeping sea cucumbers (particularly since this one is known eject toxins when it feels threatened).
Here's a link with more info:

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
idk, will ask J, but that tunicate behind it is gorgeous!

OP
OP
egdirbkram

egdirbkram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk, will ask J, but that tunicate behind it is gorgeous!
I didn’t come to you to ask because our last email exchange was well :disappointed-face:
Which is also why my post was about generic 'florida aquacultured liverock' and not at all vendor specific.
That said thanks for taking the ID to J.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's crawled about 14" or so along the glass since my first post. if it is a Eupentacta quinquesemita wouldn't it be odd for it to be up on the glass vs down in the sand.
Actually, from what I can find of these guys, it seems they don't mind climbing things (there's a couple of videos of them feeding while up on elevated surfaces), and (depending on a few different things like the time of day, flow, etc.) it may not be abnormal for it be up on the glass (plus, these guys are also noted for preferring rock to sand for their substrate).

Edit: some other similar cucumbers that it could be include Pseudocnus lubricus (these also prefer rocky substrates) and two Pentamera spp. Differentiation between species can be determined by looking at the oral tentacles for P. lubricus, but they use microscope to examine the skin ossicles for differentiating between the other three species.

Last edited:

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah, it's about an inch long and an 1/8" wide

“ I have definitely not seen that one before.” - J

Do you think it came in on your Florida rocks? M nor I have seen one like it. -Wen

OP
OP
egdirbkram

egdirbkram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it came in on your Florida rocks?
Before the shipment I only had 20lbs of:
1666743741598.png

and a blend of Instant Ocean and Coralife Marine Salt.

After the shipment i've only added a Sea Serpent Star and Anemone Frag from my LFS. Also got shrimp, crabs and snails from reefcleaners (also Florida Based.) I netted all of the critters from the bags. I'm not sure what else besides the rock the little guy could have rode in on. TBH, I'm more concerned with a reef safe/not safe ID than source.

Thanks for checking.

Last edited:

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the Stiff-footed Sea Cucumber, Eupentacta quinquesemita? That's the closest match I can think of at the moment (Eupentacta pseudoquinquesemita looks almost identical, but it is reported to prefer colder waters/live farther north).

Edit: if it is this sea cucumber, then it's a filter feeder/detritus eater (so filter feeder/CUC). However, you'd want to educate yourself on the risks of keeping sea cucumbers (particularly since this one is known eject toxins when it feels threatened).
Here's a link with more info:
For visual comparison here is a picture of a Eupentacta quinquesemita

1666747464184.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back