Bad Peppermint Baaad!

  • Thread starter Thread starter stevo01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
3,412
Reaction score
3,319
Location
Lebanon, NH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I brought a 2 headed gold tipped torch into my 20 gallon. It's going into the Pico, well it is now! So I go over to check on things before heading to bed. I see one of my peppermint shrimp lopping off 2 of its tentacles, full mount. Dirty style boxing. The beautiful gold balls floating around the tank. What's this all about. I've had a purple tipped torch in there since the beginning? Are they doing other damage, I haven't noticed?

As soon as I saw that I took it out, now in the Pico tank.
 
Having had Peppermints go rouge before I make sure to keep mine well feed. I have had two groups of Peppermints over the years, the first ate all my maxi-mini anemones in short order, the second group which I currently still have has not gone after any corals and I feed heavily once a day.
I am not convinced that feeding them well makes a difference, it seems like some just develop a taste for corals and other anemone types but this group has not touched a coral in almost a year.
 
Yeah this is pretty upsetting. I'm going to try feeding them tonight. I've cut my feeding back a lot in order to slow the algae's down. I was only feeding 1/2 cube per day as it was.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new