bad smell in living room

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've installed one similiar to that, today

i'm also thinking adding a very small air extractor with a carbon filter, inside the sump cabinet. would it help?
I dont think it is necessary for this, clean overflow and tank glass where any water meets air free from all algae if you can

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had fish tanks for a very long time and the only tank that smelled was my overstocked cichlids tank. No matter what I tried. There was just too much fish pooping going around in that tank.

My saltwater tank has a low bioload and it’s got to be the nicest smelling tank I’ve ever had.

Carbon on your air purifier should take care of your smell problem in the room.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A tank should not smell - unless there is a problem. However - is it possible (as others have said) - that something jumped/crawled out? Is it possible there is some water under the tank (like if the tank is on carpet), etc.

Is there anything dead in the tank itself (I presume you've checked that). Could the odor be from something else?

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank should not smell - unless there is a problem. However - is it possible (as others have said) - that something jumped/crawled out? Is it possible there is some water under the tank (like if the tank is on carpet), etc.

Is there anything dead in the tank itself (I presume you've checked that). Could the odor be from something else?
no, there is nothing dead or outside the tank

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you got one rated to your room size for at least 3x an hour, h13 true hepa, with activated carbon in the filter, you should be fine. Wait an hour and walk back in the room and see how it is working
it's rated for 85 M2, the room is about 16/20 m2

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You could take that model and scale the mesh in your slicer to fit any radius skimmer top. That model is 146mm diameter to fit a 140mm skimmer lid.

What is the diameter octo classic 110sss? Perhaps when I get back from vacation in a week I can print you out one for a frag or two ;)... I need to populate my tank!

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if i fully close the sump cabinet and i add a couple of Noctua fans with a carbon pad on front?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta go with @MnFish1 on this. If you're absolutely sure there is no standing water anywhere, I would check the overflows and sump for any indication of organic matter above the waterline that could be decomposing. I would think that any sulfur smell coming from the water itself would indicate a dangerously high ammonia level.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead snail will smell Up the whole house
It’s insane how much they smell

I’ve seen them climb out of tank and get wedged into lights, die... stink

Snails get stuck in some spots you’d never think

Open canopy and sniff around, see if you can pinpoint an area and you might find a dead snail

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buying stuff to fix this problem doesn't make much sense to me. I have never had a tank smell bad enough to worry about it. If I stick my nose in the overflow box I smell algae sure but none of the rooms that have had tanks in them over the years have ever been stanky. Something specific must be causing this.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead snail will smell Up the whole house
It’s insane how much they smell

I’ve seen them climb out of tank and get wedged into lights, die... stink

Snails get stuck in some spots you’d never think

Open canopy and sniff around, see if you can pinpoint an area and you might find a dead snail
heh I still occasionally find shells from nerites that climbed out of a freshwater tank that hasn't been up for years.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail stink lingers

Even after washing hands you will still stink
I tried to sanitize a shell from a dead snail in the microwave. Oh my goodness the stench was worse than 20 dead mice in the back of my truck on 100 degree day.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back