bad smell in living room

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my tank in the living room and there is always a bed smell, even after a skimmer deep clean

is this something normal or a tank should not smell at all?

i've installed today an air purifier (hepa13+Active carbone+2 more layes) filtering up to pm2.5 hoping to remove the smell.

any other solution? an ozone machine?

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it change, mostly seaweed but even egg sulfur (like skimmer full)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon above skimmer cup will help if that's what your smelling, on the plus side at least you know your skimmer is pulling stuff out and working as intended.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a healthy saltwater tank should smell kinda like a tide pool, and a freshwater tank should smell like fresh soil. But the room itself shouldn't smell bad from the tank. When my skimmer cup gets full I can smell it if I go near the back of the tank, but the room doesn't stink.

Carbon like others are mentioning is a good solution if you can't find any specifically treatable cause.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is the answer from my experience. I had something so putrid in the water it would make you gag. Must have been dead snails. I put in some carbon and in 48 hrs it was much better. 96 it was pretty much gone. Tank is in the living room, so I run carbon most of the time now.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Always run carbon inside the water

how do you Place the carbon above the skimmer Cup?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i Always run carbon inside the water

how do you Place the carbon above the skimmer Cup?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? Do you ever deep clean it? I do it every water change. Put a pump in there and run the hose end back through your filter sock. Keep stirring up the water and just let the pump do the work.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to find a good way to put the carbon on the redsea lid, as i have the handle to rotate the blades for cleaning

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Carbon works amazingly and i would see if the cheaper methods using activated carbon will help. If not these work really well at mitigating smells in the air, helps with dust too and apparently with viruses so the significant other should be all for it too. Just matters the room size and which you like better, Blue is a good one and pretty much any true h13 hepa filter one with activated carbon should work as well

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Carbon works amazingly and i would see if the cheaper methods using activated carbon will help. If not these work really well at mitigating smells in the air, helps with dust too and apparently with viruses so the significant other should be all for it too. Just matters the room size and which you like better, Blue is a good one and pretty much any true h13 hepa filter one with activated carbon should work as well

i've installed one similiar to that, today

i'm also thinking adding a very small air extractor with a carbon filter, inside the sump cabinet. would it help?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t smell anything bad from my tank. Did a snail crawl out and die maybe? Nerites love to crawl out.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you got one rated to your room size for at least 3x an hour, h13 true hepa, with activated carbon in the filter, you should be fine. Wait an hour and walk back in the room and see how it is working

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back