Bagbos travel photo thread! VERY pic heavy! Updated 12/21/11!!

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking through some pics since a few have asked to post more...lol. I don't think I posted any pics of the Turtle Sanctuary we visited while in Bora Bora. It was really cool. We had a friend that worked at the resort next to ours. The resort is called Le Meridien and one of the cool things about staying there is the Turtle Sanctuary. For the past century, turtles have always been on the (food) menu for local villages in French Polynesia. In an HUGE effort to try and change that (due to the dwindling turtle populations in our oceans), Le Meridien has started this Awareness effort to educate local kids (kids all around the islands) about the importance of turtles. The sanctuary is a hatchery, a place to raise baby turtles in captivity, a release program, and a reunion spot all wrapped into one (for both Loggerhead and Green Sea Turtles). Since turtles will always return to where they were born to lay eggs, lots of turtles come to this resort in order to lay eggs. When the eggs hatch, the conservationists raise the babies until they reach a mature enough age to be released into the wild. The turtles are fed every 2 days. While watching the babies eat was really cool, it was amazing to see just how many turtles (who were raised there) would swim in from the lagoon to catch a free meal. As you can see from the pics, there were turtles smaller than your hand and others who were as big around as a Smart Car.

You are required to stay at this resort in order to see the turtles. It is really meant for the local kids to see so they keep all tourists out (unless you stay there or know someone who can get you in). Was a really cool thing to see. Here are some pics...

Turtles are kept in different enclosures depending on size (otherwise they will eat each other).
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora411.jpg

The babies are gathered into these baskets for observation and feeding. The volunteers who handle the turtles will not put the turtles back until each one has been visually observed from head to toe - and observed eating the amount that they should for their age.
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora456.jpg

The really small ones are fed in these...lol
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora419.jpg

Closer shot
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora420.jpg

How small are they? Easier to see here...we got to hold them which was awesome.
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora435-1.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora421-1.jpg

And some pics of adults who were born in the hatchery. They are free to come and go as they please. They can roam the oceans or stick close by on the reefs. No cages at all. Like clockwork, they swim in on feeding days. If you stay at the resort, you get to take full advantage of swimming with these beautiful creatures as they come and go.

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora417.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora438.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora467.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora418.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora442.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora430.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora466.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora449.jpg

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few others I ran across of the shark feeding we did

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora173.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora169.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora178.jpg

Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora176.jpg

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a few miscellaneous pics

Blenny
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora502.jpg

Octopus (when I first spotted him, he was in an ink fight with a cuddlefish - he saw me and tucked himself into this rock)
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora315-1.jpg

I think I hung around too long as he started getting a bit angry...lol
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora319-1.jpg

Eel
Craig-8gbcard-MooreaBoraBora101.jpg

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a few more Fiji pics : )

562.jpg

783.jpg

Would have love to have grabbed a frag of this one!
578-1.jpg

555-1.jpg

530.jpg

389.jpg

303.jpg

263.jpg

536.jpg

524.jpg

511-1.jpg

270.jpg

312-1.jpg

Last edited:

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, the seclusion and kid free zones are enticing even the hubby! I'll have to check in with you on pricing and suggested destination for a week in the future!

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, the seclusion and kid free zones are enticing even the hubby! I'll have to check in with you on pricing and suggested destination for a week in the future!

I'll be happy to help when the time comes 1smile1

Cuong L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Bora Bora looks great. I'll have to bring my wife there one of these days.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing pics! Thanks for sharing with us, those turtles are so cool!

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are some huge colonies!!!!!

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I just got back from Thailand a few weeks ago and I've been asked by quite a few folks to post some pics of our travels. We were there for 18 days and Thailand is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. We spent some time in Chiang Mai, Similan Islands, Phuket, Krabi, and Koh Kood (among a few other places). Some of you have seen some of these pics from Facebook so please excuse some of the repeats.

No decent underwater photos from this trip as I stopped carrying my camera with me on snorkeling trips. I did see some sea turtles and a Giant Manta Ray around the Similan Islands but I don't have documented proof of this...lol. But we were around the islands for half of our trip....as close to the water as these pics will get : ).

First stop on our trip was Chiang Mai - north of Bangkok up in the mountains. A beautiful place, very peaceful, and home to hundreds of Buddhist temples. We had a guide for a few days who showed us around a lot of temples, an elephant camp, the local markets, etc.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

While in Chiang Mai, we also visited a couple of local villages, rice plantations, etc. Here are some pics from that day...

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

And while walking around one of the rice plantations, I looked back and saw this little girl peeking at us from her home....

IMG_0367.jpg

Last edited:

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like I went on a little journey looking at all of the beautiful pics from your trip. Thank you!

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Chiang Mai, we flew down to Phuket. We did not stay in Phuket long at all. Too crowded. We went just north to Khao Lak. The tsunami devastated this place a few years back but there are no visible signs left of that. We stayed at the JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort and Spa. The beach was great and was a nice relaxing few days after being on the go in Chiang Mai for a few days.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Khao Lak, we drove over to Krabi which is just on the other side of the Sea from Phuket. A LOT less inhabited and not as many tourists. We stayed at Phulay Bay which is one of the Ritz Carlton Reserve properties. My wife is a travel agent and got a crazy good deal so we could afford to stay there. The resort is pretty small and was REALLY nice. The views from the resort are as nice as you will see anywhere in the world. I will let the pics speak for themselves.....

One of the day beds around the pool
IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Yoga anyone?
IMG_0767.jpg

We chartered a long boat for the day - had a ball. Did some island hopping and went to all of the touristy places around Phuket (Koh Pee Pee, Hong Island, etc). Here are some pics from that trip.....

IMG_0779.jpg

Chicken Island
IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

OP
OP
soccerbag

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pics from Phulay Bay....

Plunge Pool outside of Villa
IMG_0959.jpg

Entrance to Villa
IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

Pool menu
IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Does the gazebo in the background look familiar (pic below)? Parts of Hangover II were filmed at the resort. They have it blocked off so idiots like me won't climb all over it taking pics....lol
IMG_1099.jpg

Last edited:

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier in the thread I noticed you photographed two very rare anemones!

Red Based Magnifica, and a Mertins carpet! Very rare!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back